• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What is the "HEGO" sensor...

ren

NAXJA Forum User
on a Renix motor? I am not sure which sensor is being discussed and I may know it by a different name... knock sensor, temp on block, O2, etc...

Once again a simple search on hego on this web site would have told you the answer. It is the Heated Exhaust Gas Oxygen sensor, aka. O2 sensor.

Thank you, sir. I feel kind of dumb now, since I thought that maybe it was the O2 sensor. I will try not to do this again without trying the "search" function first.
Ren

Another victim of 5-90s unceasing life mission of never using the same terminology the rest of the world uses if he can possibly find a more convoluted term for any simple object. :flame:

Nah - I've just read so damn many tech books that I'm starting to think in abbreviations and acronyms...

Perhaps I should put a list of common abbreviations and acronyms in my sig - but what fun would that be? :laugh3:

The rest of the world? I guess it depends on your source (like I said, I've read entirely too many technical books by now - considering there's a shelf full of FSM's right next to me, a shelf of parts catalogues above it, a shelf full of engineering books right next to it, and a shelf full of collected technical information below it. Kinda keeps one busy - if I don't talk the way they do, I'll forget how to read what they're saying!)

5-90

Ren, be advised that the Renix' uses 'Titania' type O2 sensors. They are an older type and cost more..... :) The last one I bought was about $52.

The RENIX HEGO sensors (Titania type) are variable resistance units, and are used in a voltage divider circuit to determine AFR.

Later/more common HEGO sensors (Zirconia type) are voltage-generating units, which react to exhaust gasses to create a reference voltage, which is then read by the PCM to determine AFR.

I'd not be surprised to find that the later HEGO sensors aren't similar to something else - something else close enough to be used in its place - but I haven't been able to look into that. The Titania sensors haven't been in use for a while in production - I'm surprised they're still priced as low as they are.

5-90

Back