• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My XJ $H!T The Bed last night....

wulf711

NAXJA Forum User
New Code... any help out there?

Ok I got the codes read to cure my check engine light and I found out that the 1/1 and 1/2 O2 sensor Heater Cuircut were malfunctioning ( Cali emissions) and also the TPS was reading low voltage, the 4th and final code was the APPS - Acceration position sensor was reading low voltage....

Well it was running a little rough but not too bad until.... I was driving home up a rather large hill when the little bugger stalled.... I tried to restart in N and it would die out as soon as I applied gas. Then pop through the throttle body... awful smell... etc... I coasted down the hill to the bottom and continued limping home, when there was no strainon the engine it ran ok but as soon as I added pressure to the gas or went up an incline it would backflash and stall. Eventually it would bot start at all and I had it towed home. the engine was screaming hot, no light for overheat... not sure if it is reading now.

Anyway, anyone know of the symptoms? Have any ideas? Will a bad TPS or O2 sensors create this type of reaction? What the hell does the APPS do and could that be the culprit.... Any help would be appreciated.... Also do you know the part numbers of the 1/1 amd 1/2 O2 sensors?

Thanks,

Gabe

Last edited by a moderator:
New Code... any help out there?

I got a 1391 code which says athet the Crankshast or camshaft positioning sensor is intermitent..... So first I need to change that....

Does anyone have any experiance with that? Anything I should be mindful of? Also does anyone know of where I can find the part numbers for the O2 sensors on a cali emission 2K XJ? Anyone have a parts list or something... this is going to take forever to try and fix but I need to get it up and running soon.

G

Re: New Code... any help out there?

wulf711 said:
I got a 1391 code which says athet the Crankshast or camshaft positioning sensor is intermitent..... So first I need to change that....

Does anyone have any experiance with that? Anything I should be mindful of? Also does anyone know of where I can find the part numbers for the O2 sensors on a cali emission 2K XJ? Anyone have a parts list or something... this is going to take forever to try and fix but I need to get it up and running soon.

G
Are you going back to Ca. if not just replace your o2 with a standard one.
Do a search for your CPS, it's covered every week or so.

It was bought with the cali emissions on it. Is there a difference between the position 1&2 sensors on a cali and the pos. 1&2 on the standard emissions besides there being 4 on the cali and 2 on the standard? I cant believe that there are 3 cats on this thing. What a waste.

Gabe

Let me bounce this off you guys...
The Camshaft Pos. sensor time the spark and the crankshaft pos. sensor gets the fuel timed properly correct? I am getting fuel in the cylinders when I try and turn it over I think I am not getting spark. We will see, I pulled the battery b/c I killed it yesterday tring to start it so the codes should be wiped clean until I try and start it. I am going to replace the camshaft pos. sensor first since it is a hell of alot cheaper... of course harder to put in....

Gabe

wulf711 said:
Let me bounce this off you guys...
The Camshaft Pos. sensor time the spark and the crankshaft pos. sensor gets the fuel timed properly correct? I am getting fuel in the cylinders when I try and turn it over I think I am not getting spark. We will see, I pulled the battery b/c I killed it yesterday tring to start it so the codes should be wiped clean until I try and start it. I am going to replace the camshaft pos. sensor first since it is a hell of alot cheaper... of course harder to put in....

Gabe
No. The Camshaft Pos sensor has nothing to do with spark either, the TPS in used for both spark and injection, your engine will start and run with The Camshaft Pos sensor unpluged.
Because The Camshaft Pos in the distributor you would think it’s for spark but it’s not.
The only thing it’s for is to tell the computer which cylinder is number 1 at startup.
If there’s no signal the computer will start the engine by trying one cylinder at a time until it starts. If you are sure you have injector pulses then you should have spark.

Last edited:
Have you changed the tps yet?

I put a new motor in my xj a few months back and upon start up had the exact same symptoms as you.

Solution- one of the bolts on the tps sensor was missing which caused the tps to be off kilter. Replace the bolt problem fixed.

As for your Ca. emmisions crap, Can't help you there.

HTH

OK one vote for the TPS.... has anyone ever received a code 1391 out there? The Camshaft positioning sensor is located where teh distributor should be and the manual says that it is spark related. I will try the throttle body positioning sensor.... Man why didn't I buy an 86 CJ.... screwdriver and duct tape.... not a computer.

Thanks everyone....

wulf711 said:
OK one vote for the TPS.... has anyone ever received a code 1391 out there? The Camshaft positioning sensor is located where teh distributor should be and the manual says that it is spark related. I will try the throttle body positioning sensor.... Man why didn't I buy an 86 CJ.... screwdriver and duct tape.... not a computer.

Thanks everyone....
It is spark related but it will not prevent you from getting spark. If it's not working your engine will run but the timing will be off a little, but it will run.

I had similar symptoms, although my jeep never died. The oxygen sensor wire got tangled up in the rear driveshaft, shorting the heater circuit to ground. This blew the fuse that supplies power to the O2 sensor heaters, so even after replacing the sensor and fixing the wires it set the same codes. Check all of the fuses in the engine bay fuse box, I think it was one of those. If a fuse blew, look around at the wiring for the sensors that are setting codes. Check for a short to ground. This would be a wire rubbed through, pinched or melted against the exhaust.

Back