• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'89 Laredo starting mystery

cykaaro

NAXJA Forum User
As stated above, I've an '89 Laredo 4.0L 5spd. The engine is in primo condition. no knocks, noises or anything, which is why we're restoring/building it up.

Anyways, we had problems getting it running at first and could easily jump it from mine, but wouldn't keep running that easily. We ended up using my battery putting it's battery in mine which allowed us to get it home. On switching it back I found that my batttery was now pretty low, so figured it was caused by the althernator. I got a hold of another one and decided to get the original on tested. Turns out that it's actually fine. Well, right now I can't jump it from mine with either alternator, nor with my battery in it. I'm not getting anything. No noise from the starter relay or anything. I have no idea what has happened as nothing was done at all to it except removing out the lower dash, and center console.
The only problem I know of is that the steering column wiring is screwed in regards to the radio/heater/signals but it's never effected starting it. I've a new column to put in, but don't have the right tool to remove the lock plate so haven't done it as I'll need to do the ignition cylinder as well.
Any ideas of exactly what I should be looking at/trying to find that could be causing this? I am mechanically inclined, but am not a mechanic so not sure what to look at causing this. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated as I don't want this thing sitting all winter without running as with the engine as in good shape as it is in, I dont' want the gaskets etc drying out.
TIA

Back