• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How Much Oil ?

NXJ

NAXJA Forum User
How many litres of oil is it suppose to be in my NP 207 and its 5-speed transmission ? Im unsure about what make the tranny is, but its either a Borg Warner T5 or a Peugeot "BA10/5" - how can I tell the difference ?

Thanks.

What year XJ and what engine?

If you have a 207 transfer case, I'm going to guess that you have an '86 or older, and the tranny is probably an AX-5 but possibly a T-5. The BA 10/5 was used behind the 4.0L beginning in 1987.

Oh BTW -- the tranny takes gear lube, but the transfer case uses ATF.

The transfer case wants Dexron II/III Automatic Transmission Fluid, and it is filled until it starts to come back out the fill hole.

For the transmission, there a few options (knowing your year and engine would help, but you've said it's a five-speed - meaning you likely have the 4.0 and the T4 and AX4 are ruled out. That leaves the T5 (1984,) AX5 (1984-1991,) and BA10/5 (1987-1989.) The NP207 tcase was used from 1984-1987.)

If you have the T5, you'll want Dexron II/III, the others use GL5 75W90 gear oil. Again, these units are filled until it starts to run back out the fill hole.

Listed capacities:
T5 - 4.5 pints
AX5 - 7.0 pints (w/4WD)
BA-10/5 - 4.9 pints (w/4WD)
NP207 - not specifically listed, but the NP208 likes 6.0 quarts, and the NP231 likes 2.2 quarts. You should be somewhere in that range.

Transmission Identification:
The AX4 and AX5 have similar cases, which are split into three parts aft of the bellhousing. There is a gear case, an extension case, and (in your case) a transfer case adapter - all cases are "sleeves" only having seams at the joins. The ID code for the AX-4 or -5 will be found on the bottom of the case near the fill plug.

The BA-10/5 uses a "clamshell" case, which can be readily identifiable by the longwise seam down the middle length of the case. The BA-10/5 will also have an ID tag rivetted to the left side of the transmission case.

Means of identifying the Borg T5 is not given.

If you get too stuck, take a pic and post it, and someone here should be able to figure out what you've got. This would be especially helpful if you can find an ID tag that doesn't make sense to you.

5-90

Ever heard of Red Line Oil? I've used their posi diff fluid and manual tranny lube; that stuff works wonders.

The difference in shifting the five-speed in my YJ was like night and day. Much easier to shift, smoother operation, and cold-weather performance was identical to summertime. It can be a bit pricey, though (~$9.00/qt.). Too bad I sunk the YJ a month after I filled up the transmission, requiring another fluid change.

Back