• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1990 Xj Bendex Abs Woes Again. Need Advice!!!

Kal

NAXJA Forum User
Yea, I know the thing to do is to swap out the system for non ABS. I work and go to school and don't have time to poke around junk yards to find a donor car and do the work of the swap.

I lost brake boost and took it to the dealer hoping it would be one of the waranteed parts. After the $85 inspeciton here is what they gave me:

ABS Pump replaced (free under lifetime warranty)
ABS Accumulator needs replacement $242
ABS Low Pressure Switch $80
3.5 hours labor @ $85 an hour = $297

Wala you get $620. Thats like half the worth of the CAR! Yea right.

SO here is my thinking. Anybody know where to get an ABS accumulator for cheap other than a junk yard? What are the chances the low pressure switch really failed? Sounds like it could be dealer BS to me. By the way where is the low pressure switch located anyone have a diagram? I can hear the pump still run so I'm thinking to throw in a new Accumulator and see if it works. If not take it to the dealer and have them replace the pump. IF the switch is easy I'll even replace that. Any advice?

I was under the impression that you could just pull the fuses and that would deactivate the abs. I do not have abs in my 89 so I cannot say for sure. But, that sounds alot better then $640. I think I read that people prefer it without the abs anyway.

Search around I know I read it in here somewhere. And once you have some free time upgrade to a dual diaphram and be done with crappy brakes.

Good luck
katarn

Try buymopar.com no online cataloge but call them for a discount price on the parts you need. Other online oem jeep dealers may have a better price. When I replace the abs accumulator on my 89 in 2000 I paid $75 for it from my dealer w. a good discount. It took me 20 minutes to replace it. Remove pressure first by pressing on brake pedal about 50xs w. key off. I did not even bleed the brakes after and they worked fine but doing a good bleed on them might be best. Have the dealer replace the warrantied parts after you replace the others then they will bleed the brakes i assume as part of their work. Good Luck. Greg

I've got all the system components except the rear sensors in a box in the garage from my replacement in my 91. Same system, working when I removed it about 3 mo ago while installing a dana 44 (rear sensors are still on the D35). I don't know what the "low pressure switch" looks but I'm sure it's in the box. . . "As-Is" $50 for the box plus actual shipping for it.

My advice (like most everyone else) would be go non-ABS but if you are interested, PM me.

Back