• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1995 XJ 2.5L Aw4 swap?

I found a guy that want to use my AW4 on his 2.5L.

My AW4 came of a 1996 4.0L XJ, I have hte flex plate, torque convert, tranny and computer, 23 spline output.

Can he mate this to his 2.5L 1995?
would need a different t-case for sure.

BrettM said:
you need a different bellhousing.

the AW4 came behind 2.5s, but it is pretty rare. search here and Pirate, I know it came up recently on Pirate and more extensively a while ago on naxja.

still after all my searching for the elusive beast, I have yet to find a part # for teh 2.5, aw4 bellhousing

If they exist and are available, PLEASE post that part number. I've been postponing replacing the clutch in my '88 MJ 2.5L while I debate converting to an automatic so my wife can drive it, but the lack of an overdrive has kept me from doing it. Sure would be nice if I could just bolt up the AW4 I already have sitting on the trailer.

I finally saw one, last week down at the boneyard. It's an '87 XJ Country, 2.5/AW4...I was stunned. I'm going back down there this afternoon to recheck to see if the axles are still under it (4.56's) and if they are, I'm nabbing the D30. If someone can tell me if there's a part # visible on the bellhousing somewhere, I can post it up for younz :wave: . I'm heading that way around 1:00...
Jeff

p.s. I can snag the TCM from it also if anyone wants it.

Last edited:
I'll go poke around on it some and see if I can't find one. If I do, I'll post up.
Jeff

Considering how much smaller a 2.5L clutch and flywheel is than a 4.0L clutch and flywheel, it occurs to me that the 4.0L flex plate and torque converter probably aren't going to fit into a 2.5L bellhousing. And even if the flexplate and converter will fit -- they'll be balanced for an I-6 engine, which has a very different balance requirement than an I-4.

Methinks there is more to this than just finding a bellhousing.

Eagle said:
Considering how much smaller a 2.5L clutch and flywheel is than a 4.0L clutch and flywheel, it occurs to me that the 4.0L flex plate and torque converter probably aren't going to fit into a 2.5L bellhousing. And even if the flexplate and converter will fit -- they'll be balanced for an I-6 engine, which has a very different balance requirement than an I-4.

Methinks there is more to this than just finding a bellhousing.

true but IM betting the flexplate from a 999 TF and torque converter will fit work with it....maybe.....LOL

Another potential problem will be if the torque converter nose is the right size and lenght.

I started research on a 700R4 swap, but got slammed at work. When Fall hits and it slows down some I plan to get back on it. A modded 700R4 with 4L60 internals and mechanical kickdown with a S-10 Transfer case to get around the electronics issue.

Back