• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 44 axle seals

Wayne Sihler

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Both rear axle seals leaking at less than 30K miles.A Carquest brand was installed when the axle was re-geared,in a clean housing,on the bench.
Is there a prefered brand seal ? I have a CR brand seal to go back in.But at $100 a time (seal,bearing,labor to remove/press on) it is getting expensive.
Thanks,
Wayne

I had problems with the seals on my xj D44 rear too. I think the seal area on the shafts are on the small side for the seal. I even switched to Moser shafts with National seals and had leakage. I ended up installing speedi sleeves and CR seals with good luck. I have since switched to a Grand Waggy rear D44 and it was using CR seals since day one with good results. I put CR seals on the new Dutchman shafts for that axle and they've been holding well too. Just my experiences. Jeff

On my MJ the 44 developed a leak around the seals and after spending too much money trying to fix it, I ended up buying a new axle shaft with the bearing and seal on it already from Superior Axles. Then you can easily replace them yourself and keep the old ones as spares.

They normaly leak around the outer part of the seal because they don't make good contact. Buys some sealant, drain the diff, pull the shafts, wipe the area and seal, apply sealant, reinstall, clean and seal diff cover, let dry and refill diff. should stay sealed until next time they're pulled. At least mine have.

Back