• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 problem...

Bowzer

NAXJA Forum User
(vehicle info in sig.)
AW4 2nd gear issues...

Shift pattern: P-R-N-D-3-2/1
*It will not shift into 2nd when in 2/1 gear. Starts in 1st, I've let the RPMs go up to 3k and didn't want to push it more than that and refuses to shift to 2nd.
*Shifting from 2/1 to 3 will make the 1st to 2nd shift very firm, same with downshifting.

2nd gear goin bad?
Torque Converter?
Sensor, Relay, Connection?

:dunno:

Last edited:
i think i read somehwere that the 1/2 gear provides the 2nd gear at very high rpm...i am sure someone will double check that.
how does it drive in D.

pete

'D' is fine.. no shift problems. Just when I'm in '3' or '1-2'

All stock, no lift, 225 tires.

few weeks ago, I replaced Trans Fluid and Filter (didn't drain torque converter) no leaks, It did look like shiny metallic paint on the inside of the pan before I cleaned it... shavings?

Bowzer said:
that just seems so high to me for 1st gear... I've been tought (on a manual) to never exceed 3,500/15mph-or you'll :gag: things up!

Taught by who? Granny? That's ridiculous. Guess those 7000rpm 1-2 shifts in my car are really buggering things up!

Last edited:
Bowzer said:
that just seems so high to me for 1st gear... I've been tought (on a manual) to never exceed 3,500/15mph-or you'll :gag: things up!

I'd say more like 5,000+ I think this person meant for an extended period of time, or she might overheat. Shifting through gears and going up above that will not hurt anything except your fuel mileage.
-Josh

tchase said:
Taught by who? Granny? That's ridiculous. Guess those 7000rpm 1-2 shifts in my car are really buggering things up!
:roflmao:

I learned in a 3cyl GEO Metro :laugh2: by my sister, she was somewhere around 30 then. I guess pushin a 3cyl above 3500+RPMs is no good.. :D

I gave it shot awhile ago.. it shifts into 2nd around 4500 RPMs just about 40mph... That was crazy! I thought my 4.0 was gonna blow!

I use the 1/2 position in the boys' school zone to keep me within the 20mph speed limit. I've found that, while 1/2 will delay shift while the throttle is open, you can induce a shift into second if you back out of the throttle at around 2500rpm (I'm only guessing here 'cause I don't have a tach). You can then cruise at 20mph very comfortably in 2nd somewhere around 2000. Watch out, though, if you have to dump the throttle (like a school bus pulling out in front of you). If I dump the throttle while driving 20mph in 2nd at the 1/2 position, the AW4 will drop immediately into 1st, usually dumping my breakfast burrito onto the floor.

edit: Wish I had an AWShifter :laugh3:

Bowzer said:
:roflmao:

I learned in a 3cyl GEO Metro :laugh2: by my sister, she was somewhere around 30 then. I guess pushin a 3cyl above 3500+RPMs is no good.. :D

Your not driving a metro. Your XJ is more akin to a old 2 cylinder John Deer! Put it in "D" and let it do it's thing while you concentrate on your driving!

JoBo

XJ Dreamin' said:
I use the 1/2 position in the boys' school zone to keep me within the 20mph speed limit. I've found that, while 1/2 will delay shift while the throttle is open, you can induce a shift into second if you back out of the throttle at around 2500rpm (I'm only guessing here 'cause I don't have a tach). You can then cruise at 20mph very comfortably in 2nd somewhere around 2000. Watch out, though, if you have to dump the throttle (like a school bus pulling out in front of you). If I dump the throttle while driving 20mph in 2nd at the 1/2 position, the AW4 will drop immediately into 1st, usually dumping my breakfast burrito onto the floor.

edit: Wish I had an AWShifter :laugh3:

Hey, guys...I'm going to retract this until I do some more testing. When I wrote this, I would have sworn that it had acted this way on several occasions, but I couldn't get it to do it Friday. I'm hedging right now because I do this in the school zone. That's a time when I'm more on the watch for kids crossing the street and loco parents pulling out in front of me. It's not a time when I've been focused on my transmission's behavior. So, I will do some trials in front of the house (dead end with little traffic and few kids) and get back to you.

Back