• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.7L grand swap

jeepsta

NAXJA Forum User
I know there has been some talk about it before and yes i did research it, but i haven't found what im looking for. i want to put a 4.7L out of the newer grand cherokees into my xj. and i want to know how feasible it is. any comments and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

good luck with that...

jeepsta said:
I know there has been some talk about it before and yes i did research it, but i haven't found what im looking for. i want to put a 4.7L out of the newer grand cherokees into my xj. and i want to know how feasible it is. any comments and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

4.7? You mean a 5.7L V-8?

No he means the 4.7 v8 not the hemi. They were in dakotas and WJs. NOt a bad motor really. I am curious about this as well since I might do the same if I manage to kill my 4.0.

BA

Measure, cut, & weld. There's no kit for this swap. One problem you'll probably find is that the OHC motors like the 4.7L tend to be pretty wide on the top end and may interfere with a lot of stuff in your engine bay.

jeepsta said:
So ok its a 287ci anybody know how to put it in?

Don't bother. It's a lot easier and cheaper to rebuild your 4.0 into a 4.7 stroker. Built right with all the necessary ancillary performance parts (bored TB, intake, header, 2.5" exhaust), you could have 270hp so that's 35hp more than from the stock 4.7 V8 from a WJ/Dakota/Ram.
Take a look at my stroker "recipes":

http://www.jeep4.0performance.4mg.com/stroker.html

and my own 4.6 stroker build-up:

http://www.angelfire.com/my/fan/stroker.html

Dr. Dyno said:
Don't bother. It's a lot easier and cheaper to rebuild your 4.0 into a 4.7 stroker. Built right with all the necessary ancillary performance parts (bored TB, intake, header, 2.5" exhaust), you could have 270hp so that's 35hp more than from the stock 4.7 V8 from a WJ/Dakota/Ram.
Take a look at my stroker "recipes":

http://www.jeep4.0performance.4mg.com/stroker.html

and my own 4.6 stroker build-up:

http://www.angelfire.com/my/fan/stroker.html

hey dyno the whole world is not into strokers. and it had nothing to do with the thread, like usual your chest pounding is getting annoying

the whole world should be into strokers, theres NO advanges in a 4.7 v8 over a 4.7 stroked I6.

the 4.7 v8 is a bulky engine, its a pain in the ass to swap it in, you gotta make the computer work etc etc

stroked I6, computer works, the block fits, bolts right in, stroke it, put it in, have more power, and itll be more reliable

I had a 4.7L in my durango and liked it alot. What if you had a totalled Grand Cherokee and were able to swap in entire engine, fuel injection, intakes, and manifolds, as well as the tranny and ECU. I realize you're sort of robbing peter to pay paul on that one, but it seems like the only thing you'd have to fab are motor mounts and other brackets + drive shaft. Now that I'm thinking about it, I guess you'd need the wiring harness modified, too. Wow, lot of work. It's probably easier and cheaper to salvage the Grand and lift it.

tealcherokee said:
the whole world should be into strokers, theres NO advanges in a 4.7 v8 over a 4.7 stroked I6.

the 4.7 v8 is a bulky engine, its a pain in the ass to swap it in, you gotta make the computer work etc etc

stroked I6, computer works, the block fits, bolts right in, stroke it, put it in, have more power, and itll be more reliable

Oh Yeah sure, more reliabel? Ive yet to see a 4.0 stroker go 100,00 miles.

And if someone wants to put the effort forth to try something new, more power to em! without guys willing to try new things where would our sport be!

Any guess what a 4.7 from a totaled vehicle would cost? Im guessing a SHIT TON. Id like to see a swap like that though.

cmotsvt said:

is that more or less than a METRIC BUTLOAD?

Just a word of advice, from dealing with customers who have this motor, I have observed that parts (besides the basic tune up stuff) for it are expensive or hard to find. This isin't scientifically accurate or anything, there just doesn't seem to be a whole lot of aftermarket support for it.

if ur gonna do a v8 swap dont get the pussy 4.7...hell u might as well stroke ur 4.0 and save urself the time...if anything get a stroked 383...id give my left nut for that in my cherokee

Concur. If I were going to adapt everything to wedge in a V8 (not that I would - doing a stroker or blowing a motor is less work in the long run,) I'd not go with something that new - especially due to aftermarket support.

I also wouldn't want to use anything designed around "European" goodies - parts would cost too damn much. I can't feature paying more for a tune-up than for a new set of 31's.

Anything on a SBChevvy would be good (I like the 383 idea as well,) or I'd go with SBMOPAR (318, 360, or 383) or AMC (304/360/390.) I don't mention Ford simply because they don't make an engine I like anymore (I'm cranky,) and I don't think of new engines because the parts cost too damn much and the aftermarket support isn't there (I don't like performance parts from people who won't tell me about them - especially cams!

So, if you are interested in doing something special, I'd really say go with the AMC engine (since no-one seems to have done it.) The SBC swap is so common as to not be worth mentioning - you can get a bolt-in or weld-in mount cradle for that from AA. SBMOPAR would be about as rare as the ABAMC - and about as well supported in the aftermarket (I know that ICH and Edelbrock are now making AMC V8 heads - the missing part that took so long to come about.)

I wouldn't use any of the new DCX engines just because they're so new, and therefore they probably haven't gotten all the kinks out yet, and there isn't much support for them yet (Hell, you probably have to go OEMR for most tune-up parts, and the fact that that's going to hurt is a given!) which rules out the idea for me. I'm not about to spend a lot of money on a project if it's going to cause me to spend a lot of money to keep it running.)

Given a choice, I'd really prefer to go with a stroker. You can get as much power as most regularly-built V8 engines, you don't have to do anywhere near as much work in the engine bay, and if you build it properly, there's no reason that it won't last a good long while.

There is also the fact that, if you want to use this rig for off-road fun, the inline six will give you more torque at the low end than any V8 will - even if the V8 can make more power. You'll have a lot more use for low-end torque than high-end horsepower when climing or pulling, and that's where the inline six shines.

I guess the key question here is, Are you trying for pure novelty? (in which case, I'd do a Viper V-10 or a 500+-inch Hemi.) Or are you looking for useful power? (then consider some of the options I've put up here - you might find they'll make more sense.)

5-90

Back