• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

differences between 85 2.5 carb. and 86 2.5 with injection

85xjwoody

NAXJA Forum User
I just recieved a motor from an 86 cj with the injection. I would like to put my carb on this motor and get it running but I would like to see if anybody knows if there are any other differences in these engines that I should be looking out for.

I will be putting this engine in my 85 wagoneer. I already have to change all the pulleys around to work with my serpentine so I am searching for other things that will have to be swapped from engine to engine. I have to have this engine in within the next couple of days so some input on this is greatly appreciated.

TIA,

Kim.

p.s. I am staying with my carb so no talk about keeping the injection. thanks.:D

Pretty sure the short block is the same. It is possible that the head changed to accomidate a different manifold. Look up the two intake gaskets. If they are the same part number, it's likely a straight swap.

Save the injection system, you might change your mind later ;)
,Ron

AFAIK it's the same engine.

Ok. I got to take a closer look tonight and it seems that the intakes are different. On the injected motor there are alot more ports and plugs than on the carbed engine. Power steering and alternator brackets have to be changed. I have to try to put my a/c bracket on this engine also to make my serpentine belt work. It looks like I will have to change even more to make it work. Tomorrow evening I will dig in and start to make this work. Anybody with any knowledge please lend me your thoughts. I will try my hardest to make this engine work. I will post up with progress.

Kim.

Well, this engine is going back to the owner. Too many things to swap and not enough time. I will be moving in less than a month and need to have my heep running to get it to our new house. Also have a trail ride coming up to be ready for so this engine is not going to be the way to go. Between working two jobs, packing to move, and trying to get some sleep there just isn't enough time.:mad:

Found a running 85 motor for $275.00 with a 90 day warranty so I will be picking that up. Thanks for the help everyone.

Kim.

It's an hour or so swap of all externals. I would have grabbed the whole TBI harness and computer (under the dash) and put it in. I was going to do an '84 XJ with '95 YJ 2.5L, but ran out of time because I am moving too. Sold the Jeep last month and just sold the motor (with computer) too.

Kim.

Be aware that on the 4.0L the water pumps are different between a "V" belt and a Serpentine belt. They turn in different directions. I suspect the same is true for the 2.5L's

JoBo

carnuck said:
It's an hour or so swap of all externals. I would have grabbed the whole TBI harness and computer (under the dash) and put it in. I was going to do an '84 XJ with '95 YJ 2.5L, but ran out of time because I am moving too. Sold the Jeep last month and just sold the motor (with computer) too.

There were alot of differences between the CJ7 motor and my carbed 2.5. I would of been swapping parts for more than an hour. Here is a list of just some of the things that I would of had to swap over:

Power steering brackets
Alternator bracket
A/C brackets
Fuel pump at the motor behind the distributor
Take off all v-belt pulleys and put my serpentine pulleys on
Swap intakes and manifolds do to one being cracked

And the list could keep going but not enough time this morning. I just didn't have enough time to do this swap. I have to be ready in less than three weeks for a trail ride and then move when we get back we have to move into our new house. I found a used running 2.5 out of an 85 cherokee for $275.00 or $325.00 delivered to my door so I will be recieving that on Monday and should have it in and running by Monday night or Tuesday night.

Thanks for the help everyone.:) Much appreciated.

Kim.

JoBo said:
Kim.

Be aware that on the 4.0L the water pumps are different between a "V" belt and a Serpentine belt. They turn in different directions. I suspect the same is true for the 2.5L's

JoBo

Thanks for the heads up on that JoBo. I had already planned on swapping water pumps and thermostat housings also. Just too many things to do in a short time and I don't have much time available right now. Thanks again.

Kim.

Just saw this thread. There are very little differenced between an 84/85 Carbed 2.5L on an XJ and the 86 TBI 2.5L XJ engine. I took a carbed engine and swapped the intake, tbi, computer, flywheel, and bell housing and made my rig fuel injected. What a difference. A definate upgrade both on power but most of all, on mpg.

old_man said:
Just saw this thread. There are very little differenced between an 84/85 Carbed 2.5L on an XJ and the 86 TBI 2.5L XJ engine. I took a carbed engine and swapped the intake, tbi, computer, flywheel, and bell housing and made my rig fuel injected. What a difference. A definate upgrade both on power but most of all, on mpg.

The donor engine that I am not using anymore was out of an 86 CJ7. There was a very long list of things that I would of had to change over to make this work and I just don't have the time. I think if the motor was out of an xj it might of been a closer match but not this engine. I plan on staying with the carb for along time. I don't want to mess with injection just yet. Too many other things to learn yet.:lecture: Thanks for the info Old Man.

Kim.

Back