• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Radiator Question

duntov

NAXJA Forum User
I took my 1998 Cherokee to the shop today for an overheating problem. It would go from 210 up to 260 and so. They pressure tested it and said it has a small leak at the top of the radiator. I know a little about engines and such. Is this a major thing to change or should I let the shop go ahead and do it. They gave me an estimate of $456 to put in a new radiator and flush the system. What do you think?

Go and get a rad....search the web there are a few good ones out there usually for under 170$ shipped and install it in less than 2 hrs.

While you are at it replace the water pump, factory fan clutch and themostat while you ahve room -and still have a lot of money to spare.

pete

$140 for my radiator (all brass, 3 row, thicker and wider than stock) and took 30 mins to install, including the flush. Sockets, I think I used a 10mm, 13mm, and whatever the size was for the tranny cooler fitting. I've had the front clip off before though I've never done an XJ radiator before. Literally, a $15 Schuck's/Checker/Kragen tool kit could do the job.

autozone carries the GDI 3-core radiator for about $125. i bet the dealer price is $300+. and i suggest replacing the fan clutch and waterpump while its all apart as well.

Back