• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Thoughts on 1/8 inch 2x2

Highlander

NAXJA Forum User
I came up on a SMOKIN deal on some 1/8 thick 2x2 Worth it or not? I'm looking to make sliders out of it but question the strength. Anyone had any experience with it???

just wondering... I know AJ has some that he made just didn't know how strong they are...

That's what I made my rock sliders out of and they've held up great for 2 summers now doing Rubicon, Fordyce, and similar trails. With my 115" wheelbase I use them a lot for sliding on and pivoting around stuff, but I do try to not drop hard on them (though sometimes it can't be avoided). They've got a lot of scrapes, but no actual dents. One day when I finally scrape them through the 1/8" I will either make new ones of the same stuff or just weld some angle along the length. My MJ is also lighter than many XJs at 3600 pounds.

Well thanks for the info guys.. At 44 bux a 24 ft stick I can't pass it up....

Brett I'm glad you chimed in cause I'm making a set for my buddys Mj that's going to be as close to a tube chassis as possible. Do you have any pics of how you did your sliders???

I have a set of AJ's 1/8 rock rails, I have beat the snot out of them for 2 years. Ran very thing in Tellico on 31's, so I use them hard, They have bent a little but saved my rockers.

2offroad said:
I have a set of AJ's 1/8 rock rails, I have beat the snot out of them for 2 years.
Ditto. I beat the crap out of mine at Coloradofest with not a problem.

my-xj-addiction said:
Well thanks for the info guys.. At 44 bux a 24 ft stick I can't pass it up....

Brett I'm glad you chimed in cause I'm making a set for my buddys Mj that's going to be as close to a tube chassis as possible. Do you have any pics of how you did your sliders???
I put a piece of 1x1 along the pinch seam with a few small welds. Then I did about 5 legs of 1x2 from the "frame" to the 2x2. I welded them to the frame and also to the 1x1. The very back connection is 2x2 to the frame with a gusset because the larger material fits very easily there since it's behind the cab.

this is about the best picture I have:

Back