• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Redrilling 8.25 shafts for 5x5.5... anyone done it?

Timmay

NAXJA Forum User
:wave:

I'm looking to build a waggy 44 to replace my HP30 that exploded. I was wondering if anyone has redrilled stock 8.25 shafts to 5x5.5 BP. I know you can use some ford TTB hubs that give 5x5.5 up front, but the rear is either spacers, which are illegal here, or running a different bolt pattern, which I don't want to do. I have access to a full machine shop and welding shop, so i'm sure I can get it done, just a matter of it being possible. I don't have a shaft with me to see if the bolt holes will be too close to the edge etc.

So, who has redrilled 8.25 shafts? Is it possible?

Timmay said:
:wave:

I'm looking to build a waggy 44 to replace my HP30 that exploded. I was wondering if anyone has redrilled stock 8.25 shafts to 5x5.5 BP. I know you can use some ford TTB hubs that give 5x5.5 up front, but the rear is either spacers, which are illegal here, or running a different bolt pattern, which I don't want to do. I have access to a full machine shop and welding shop, so i'm sure I can get it done, just a matter of it being possible. I don't have a shaft with me to see if the bolt holes will be too close to the edge etc.

So, who has redrilled 8.25 shafts? Is it possible?

dont forget that finding drums for 5 on 5.5 on an 8.25 would be rough too...

if you can do this - then run a disc setup with custom caliper bracktes...

i know that Dutchman and Moser can make shafts...

I wonder how the flange is attached - I.E. can you take a 5on5.5 flange from another axle, and press it in?

maybe get some custom shafts from moser with splines on both ends and make the worlds first FF 8.25?

also look into the Dodge Dakota and Durango - i believe them to run 8.25 rears, and they may be similar width with the 5 on 5.5?

or consider a different rear end with better gearing options?

:rolleyes: drums. ha!. I run the ZJ disc setup. I would run a different rear end, but I just set this one up with 4.56s, crane cover and a detroit, so it's not moving for a while.

I can always install new gears in the HP30, but i'm not so sure about the housing.

If I where to get a new rear axle it'd be a Toy 8". Unfortunatly i'd lose a shitload of money on this rear end. I guess thats what I get for not tightening a pinion nut properly huh? :speepin:

you need to order custom shafts dutchaman are reasonable, there isn't enough surface area on a factory or yukon to redrill even if you run threaded studs

cherokeekid said:
you need to order custom shafts dutchaman are reasonable, there isn't enough surface area on a factory or yukon to redrill even if you run threaded studs

Exactly what I needed to know. Thank you. Looks like i'm going to rebuild the HP30 for now.

Some Dodge 1500's ran an 8.25 and they have the 5 on 5.5 bolt pattern, may not be the easiest to find but would prolly be better then the money on the dana turdy. Shouldn't be to hard to find a v-6 ram, and a 2 wheel drive should have the same axle as long as it is a v-6, oh and check out the 231 some had.

STEELFISH said:
Some Dodge 1500's ran an 8.25 and they have the 5 on 5.5 bolt pattern, may not be the easiest to find but would prolly be better then the money on the dana turdy. Shouldn't be to hard to find a v-6 ram, and a 2 wheel drive should have the same axle as long as it is a v-6, oh and check out the 231 some had.

So they had an 8.25 under them, the same width as an XJ, with the 5x5.5 BP?

I'm not looking to swap all my internals over just for a bolt pattern. I'd rather buy a toy 8" and go 4.88s.

no they would be a full width axle, but I believe you would be able to use their rear drums, and Dutchman should be able to make you a set of axles, I would think if you took their backing plates, brakes, and drums then have a set of axles made to your length you would be good to go, other wise just swap what you have to that axle and run a full width,(i know you said you didnt' want to do that.)
J

STEELFISH said:
no they would be a full width axle, but I believe you would be able to use their rear drums,
J

Timmay said:
:rolleyes: drums. ha!. I run the ZJ disc setup. /QUOTE]

STEELFISH said:
and Dutchman should be able to make you a set of axles, I would think if you took their backing plates, brakes, and drums then have a set of axles made to your length you would be good to go, other wise just swap what you have to that axle and run a full width,(i know you said you didnt' want to do that.)

Yea I think i'm just going to hold off on the front 44 then. If I could redrill my stock shafts (more like my spares) then I would do it. I have a line on some 4.56s and an install kit for the HP30 for $125 and i'm going to jump on it. Down the line it will get a front 44 and toy 8".

if you can find some axles with the right Dia and Bolt pattern, have them cut down and resplined...

Back