• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tranny nightmare?

ren

NAXJA Forum User
Can you change the tailshaft housing on a 2 wheel drive AX-15 for the housing off of a 4 wheel drivehousing? Also, can you use the tail shaft housing from an AX5 on an AX15, and vice-versa?

Well, like the title says', I guess this is good potential nightmare. Oh, well- so much for the $60 tranny upgrade. I could get a 2 wheel drive AX-15 for CHEAP, and I thought maybe I had found a way to do a cheap upgrade from a POS B/A 10/5 2x tranny to an AX-15 (home converted) 4x tranny. Thanks for your reply, 5-90.
Ren

If you pillage around, you might be able to find the 4WD mainshaft online somewhere - or check local tranny shops to see if they have any around that exploded and left you a salvageable part.

As far as me goes, I'm looking for a 3550 - but I'm not holding my breath. If I had the time, I'd put in a 4500 - I know people who have done it.

5-90

What about possibly using the main shaft from an AX-5? I have one already, but I think it needs to be rebuilt, it does not "feel" right when you turn the input shaft by hand.

You know, I couldn't even begin to guess if that would work - I'd need one of each in front of me on the bench for a couple hours to decide. In my experience, tho, parts from different transmissions usually are NOT rpt NOT cross-compatible. If you find a set, it would be a first!

5-90

Well, it is a Jeep, after all. I guess that I might end up trying this any-way, If it works, most excellent, if not, then go ahead and rebuild it and sell the sucker, since I have to take it apart anyhow to get to the shaft. I'll post it up either way it goes.

Back