• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rusty's or BDS for springs?

THN394

NAXJA Forum User
I have an 01 that I'm trying to put a 3" lift on on a budget. I already have some 4" Teraflex TJ coils I plan on trying on the front but need some rear leaf springs, shocks and small parts to complete the lift. I looked at the RE 3.5" superflex but that's really more than I can spend right now. I'm looking at Rusty's and BDS for the rear leaf springs and maybe shocks and small parts kits. Who has better springs in terms of durability and ride/flex?

I have the BDS springs no experience with Rusty's, but the BDS springs I have ride pretty good. But the best part abou BDS is their customer service I managed to break 1 of their leaf springs by negativly arching it while flexing ( I had no bumpstops ). I called them up and after I got the "Holy CRAP how did you do that" from a rep they told me I pay for shipping and they would send me new springs, I got my springs about a week later but I got 2 new leaf packs instead of one(which is all I broke). I don't know any other company that stands behind their product like that.
Hope it helps.

CanadianCool said:
I have the BDS springs no experience with Rusty's, but the BDS springs I have ride pretty good. But the best part abou BDS is their customer service I managed to break 1 of their leaf springs by negativly arching it while flexing ( I had no bumpstops ). I called them up and after I got the "Holy CRAP how did you do that" from a rep they told me I pay for shipping and they would send me new springs, I got my springs about a week later but I got 2 new leaf packs instead of one(which is all I broke). I don't know any other company that stands behind their product like that.
Hope it helps.

holy crap! how did you do that? i would certainly hope that if you broke a leaf spring just flexing, they would replace it- i dont have bumpstops either, and my rutys 3" leafs overflex fine, but that was just to break them in- i still cant believe ou BROKE a leaf spring!!!

I also had a 2 inch lift shackle on it and smallish 31 on it i wanted to see how much it would stuff so I ramped it. It was the second leaf not the main(thank god). It might have been a defect who knows really. I just liked how they handled it they really didn't care how i broke it. He was just curious LOL.

IF $$$ is an issue i would point to the bastard leaf pack. I did mine this weekend got 4.5 inches just like i was told i would. You could modify it to get less if needed. plus it only cost me 20$ for graphite paint and new hardware. I'm country boy who keept the sh#t that i broke in the previous years, just happend to be an old s-10

I love my BDS springs great warranty and customer service but as much as i love there springs , i hate there shocks they ride like ass,been told there the same as Superlift but dont know for sure.

Pro comp spring work ok and they are pretty cheap. They only do a 2.5" leaf but you can add to it if you need. I ran them on my 91 xj for a few years and never had a problem.

hayden

Dont use BDS add-a-leaves or coils. I have their 3" add-a-leaf kit and my XJ rides like a lumber wagon, i swaped my coils for rustys and it rides mutch better.

THN394 said:
I have an 01 that I'm trying to put a 3" lift on on a budget. I already have some 4" Teraflex TJ coils I plan on trying on the front but need some rear leaf springs, shocks and small parts to complete the lift. I looked at the RE 3.5" superflex but that's really more than I can spend right now. I'm looking at Rusty's and BDS for the rear leaf springs and maybe shocks and small parts kits. Who has better springs in terms of durability and ride/flex?

Between the two choices you are looking at I would go with Rusty's. A friend has the BDS lift and we both don't like it. I have heard a few good things about Rusty's so I would go with them. But as you say you are on a budget I would go with the bastard leaf pack setup. Cheap and easy. Good luck.

Kim.

bowhunter said:
I love my BDS springs great warranty and customer service but as much as i love there springs , i hate there shocks they ride like ass,been told there the same as Superlift but dont know for sure.

Depending on when you got your shocks they are actually made by Tenneco the same folks that bring you Rancho products. Yep thats right they are the same as Rancho RS5000's.

As far as what I am hearing about the BDS springs and such, they generally ride really well, I do quite a few kits here through the shop and most guys like it a lot, There new 4.5" is a little stiff and requires some break in, but the 3" stuff rides good.

And although I am sure you know what you're talking about make sure to not mix up BDS (Big Dicks Suspension) and BDS ( Black Diamond Suspension) If you are refering to Black Diamond it does suck it rides like heck, it is no good for your kidneys or your spine.

For what its worth, J

I run BDS rears. Love 'em, warranty, solid, etc, etc.

Check threads here as well as jeepforums.com about Rusty's customer service before you order.

STEELFISH said:
Depending on when you got your shocks they are actually made by Tenneco the same folks that bring you Rancho products. Yep thats right they are the same as Rancho RS5000's.

As far as what I am hearing about the BDS springs and such, they generally ride really well, I do quite a few kits here through the shop and most guys like it a lot, There new 4.5" is a little stiff and requires some break in, but the 3" stuff rides good.

And although I am sure you know what you're talking about make sure to not mix up BDS (Big Dicks Suspension) and BDS ( Black Diamond Suspension) If you are refering to Black Diamond it does suck it rides like heck, it is no good for your kidneys or your spine.

For what its worth, J

I was refering to BDS (Big Dick Suspension)i oredered my lift,shocks and trackbar from one of there dealers, when i got the trackbar it was in a BDS box but had Superlift stickers on the bar.When i asked the dealer he said that they buy some of there components from Superlift,shocks,trackbars,as well as some of there Add-A-Leafs but i have not been able to confirm this.

bowhunter said:
I was refering to BDS (Big Dick Suspension)i oredered my lift,shocks and trackbar from one of there dealers, when i got the trackbar it was in a BDS box but had Superlift stickers on the bar.When i asked the dealer he said that they buy some of there components from Superlift,shocks,trackbars,as well as some of there Add-A-Leafs but i have not been able to confirm this.

Your Dealer was full of it, the BDS trackbar has a TRE on the frame side, the Superlift has a heim joint at the frame side, The BDS is a fairly new unit it is powder coated hammerd grey, Superlifts is Gloss Black. Oh and as far as the sticker on the bar, Superlift stuff comes with the sticker seperate meaning someone had applied the sticker previously.
Just so ya know.
J

I was going to buy Rusty's 3" leafs but they're $230 and shipping for me was like $56. So $286.00 to my door for leafs that not every one has something good to say about. So I searched and went with RE 3.5" ers from www.jeepinoutfitters.com $300 with free shipping. So $20 more for quality leafs that 9 out of 10 people here say are awesome. I ordered them yesterday so we'll see what happens.

STEELFISH said:
Your Dealer was full of it, the BDS trackbar has a TRE on the frame side, the Superlift has a heim joint at the frame side, The BDS is a fairly new unit it is powder coated hammerd grey, Superlifts is Gloss Black. Oh and as far as the sticker on the bar, Superlift stuff comes with the sticker seperate meaning someone had applied the sticker previously.
Just so ya know.
J
My dealer may be full of it but my Track bar is black has a Heim joint on the end and had a Super lift sticker on it, it was sealed in a blue and white BDS box i know of 2 other XJ's with the same Track Bar from BDS.

STEELFISH said:
I would then say it was reboxed...I have not heard of BDS doing this in the past and I have been selling BDS for a little more then 3 years, promise I am not trying to be a jerk. Just trying to be helpful.J
Didnt think you were being a jerk, when i did buy my lift and T-bar BDS didnt have it listed in there catalog at the time but said it was available so maybe it was before there own was ready. When i purchased my lift 3 of us went and bought lifts 2 , 3" kits and a 2" kit all got T-bars all were the same,i do appreciate the info Thanks i love my BDS will buy again.

Last edited:
Back