• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

250+lbs on a surco roof rack?

tnxj

NAXJA Forum User
I just bought 4 39.5" TSLs on steel wheels for my truck, problem is they're up here at school with me... 250 miles away from my truck. With gas prices the way they are, I don't want to drive my truck up here to get 'em. So, I've got to find a way to get 'em home in my Cherokee. I would just rent a U haul trailer, but since I'm going to be gone for 3 days due to Army drill, they want too much. I think I can fit 2 inside the XJ just by folding the rear seat down. Now the question, how many of you would consider hauling the other 2 on a surco aluminum roofrack? It is mounted to the factory rails with their adapters. Interstate the whole way. Would you do that or pull the passenger seat out and try to stick it there? Thanks in advance.

Many times I've had 10-12 cases of 1000ft cat 5 and 6 cable up there as well as 2 8 & 12 ft fiberglass ladders all strapped down. Same setup as you I just use this big spider web looking cargo net over the cases and two 10ft long HEAVY DUTY bungie cords for the ladders.
I just pulled 1 100ft cat6 case off my shelf and weighed it, 25lbs, add in another 50lbs per ladder and that comes to around 300-350lbs, been doing it for about 4 years now.
Just make sure they are *tight* and don't bounce around any.

I've put over 300 lbs of gear and spare tire on my surco without even blinking an eye. I have them strapped with 250 lb. zip ties to the factory roof bars (front and rear) and then mounted to the factory rails with proper brackets. If you're worried about the floor sagging onto the roof of your XJ, put some foam padding, wadded up rags, styrofoam blocks, etc. under the flooring of the rack to prevent it from being permanently sagged.

DOn't know hoh much junk you have to put in the back but I bet if you air them down you should be able to get 3 inside leaving only one to go on top.

you would be amazed about the amount of sh/t you can pack up top. just tie them down like hell so one doesnt come loose. cant imagine wtf a tire like that would do at 55mph+.

also about sagging, those boat holder things even space them under the rack. like to haul a canoe on a car top and not scratch the roof? those things are soft but they can handle a lot of weight to. would be go to go under that rack with the added weight.

jpx3

Back