• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What is up with the 1997 Model Year Cutoff?

HighOctane

NAXJA Forum User
Is there dramatic change from 1996 xjs to 1997 xjs? Whenever I search for parts, things are listed up to 1996, and often times, nothing is offered for 1997. Is the change large enough for parts for a 96 to be incompatible with parts for a 97? (I own a 97 xj)

Currently, I am looking to purchase longer front end sway bars to accomodate a modest 2" lift. (I DO want sway bars) Is there a difference for this part from 96 to 97? Or is it all semantics?

HighOctane

dont need longer swaybars for that lift, I ended up going back to stock swaybar end links with 4.5 inches of lift because the discos that I bought for 4.5 inch lift would bottom out and ended up punching holes in the fender wells.

yes there was a big change from 96-98 and 97s got caught in the middle.

I know, I have a 97, and I can check my engine diagnostic codes by cycling my key three times rapidly. apparently that is a trait that is few and far between on 97s and gone on 98s.

. they were impossible to get back off because I crammed them on the disco bracket with a rbfh. So now I dont have a swaybar. if you use stock mounts and stock end links you should be fine.

Here is a fairly good outline to the differences in cherokee model years.
http://www.opiebennett.com/History.htm

Sway bar discos' *should* be the same for all models, though I recall that the Torx pin is pressed in on the axle end and a PITA to remove.

My '96 is a '97 with an old style body on it.

Almost any time I need parts I specify '97. Unless I would happen to need body/interior parts. Then I would buy '96.

Dirk Pitt said:
My '96 is a '97 with an old style body on it.

so how does it differ from any other '96? or... how is it a '97?

i'm lost on this one...

Somewhere in '96 DCX started putting the next years drivetrain parts in old style bodies. When I've bought sensors for my '96, they never fit. I have to return them and get the sensors for '97. My (and others) '96 8.25 rear axle has 29 splines.

Various other small things.

There is no difference for all years for sway bar end links. You will be fine with stock ones at 2" lift.

HTH

Dirk Pitt said:
You will be fine with stock ones at 2" lift.

HTH

i disagree. i was steadily breaking/bending the stock links on my 87 when it was budget-boosted. the ends of the swaybar need to be roughly "level" with the road. mine were tipped down and would squish the bushings out.

Back