• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

engine stalling

geardog12

NAXJA Forum User
I have searched and not found what I am looking for. I have a 2000 jeep cherokee that is completely stock as far as the engine. I drove it yesterday and it ran perfect just like it always does. I went out this morning to start it and it turned over quited a few times but would not start. I gave it a little gas and it fired up and simultaneosly backfired and stalled out. I can get it started by cranking it over and giving it gas but it will not idle. As soon as I let off the gas it dies. We got a lot of rain last night is it possible that something got wet? It has been in the rain alot and I never have had problems. It is just weird how it ran perfect yesterday and then today I have this problem. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

When my old jeep did that, I found out it had a bad vacuum leak... needed lots of engine speed to make up for the lost vacuum. Take a look at your vacuum lines & maybe spray a little carb cleaner around suspicious leak areas to see if it affects the engine speed thus locating the leak.
regards,
jlex.

Back