• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Quick engine swap question

94XJ4x4

NAXJA Forum User
I have a supposedly rebuilt 4.2 out of a 85 cj7. Will the head off of my 93 HO 4.0 bolt right on to it so i can swap engines and keep the fuel injection? If so will the 4.2 bolt right on to the AW4 transmission? Thanks in advance.

-Tim

4.2 will bolt to the tranny but the head will not bolt up the water jacket holes will not line up. Just did the stroker conversion on my 90 cherokee and had a 4.2 and a 4.0L sittin in the garage for a bit and we looked b/c we also have a 74 CJ w/ the 4.2.

Really? Because i forget who made it... anyway Rusty sells it... the aluminum head. I read an article in, i think it was Petersons, that said it would fit on the 4.0 as well as the 4.2 so i assumed the heads on both engines were interchangeable.

well there was also another post/thread about this exact question

perhaps they hope the head gasket will seal off the unwanted holes. we got rid of those engines a while back other wise i would just pop out there and look again for ya. I think the thread was in the performance area

"Do you know the year of 258? The later YJ blocks typically fit the 4.0L heads with no problems (the deck surface is wider).

Is the 90' an early Renix or late OBDI HO injection? Both will work on the 258 block, but some 258 blocks need you to pick a bolt hole for the Renix knock sensor (again, YJ blocks have the hole tapped, early blocks are a gamble).

If you want a budget short block swap it should work. The crank pulley may need some attention (@.020 misalignment) and you may need to swap the correct water pump (again, the YJ engines will work, and most earlier CA serpentine belt engines will work with few problems, but most of the early 258's will need to address these issues)."

this makes sense the 4.2 we had was old

Back