• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wobble? What causes?

jeepinxj99

NAXJA Forum User
Looking to lift my xj, i've heard from my brother (lifted his xj) and a few on the forums that after lifting a bad wobble will occur. What causes this and what can be done to prevent it? Should i worry?

its not pretty so stop it before it starts. If you go to the top of the page and click search.. type in "death wobble" and you should get all the info you need

generally xjs get away with allot due to the stabalizing effect of leaf packs (zjs and wjs have it worse) generally they have a pretty bad geometry setup to get death wobble on an xj with a mild lift. go with RE or a kit and you will be fine its the parted kits that must be researched thoroughly. do a kit and let some one else do the thinkin if you are worried

From what I have found, the steering box has a lot to do with the DW. Any play in the sector shaft is amplified with larger tires and slight geometry changes related to lifts. Try adjusting the steering box and see what happens.

JJacobs said:
Search- this gets covered about 10 times a day.

... and if your search comes up with total bs like this:

"generally xjs get away with allot due to the stabalizing effect of leaf packs (zjs and wjs have it worse) generally they have a pretty bad geometry setup to get death wobble on an xj with a mild lift. go with RE or a kit and you will be fine its the parted kits that must be researched thoroughly. do a kit and let some one else do the thinkin if you are worried"

ignore it.

MaXJohnson said:
... and if your search comes up with total bs like this:

"generally xjs get away with allot due to the stabalizing effect of leaf packs (zjs and wjs have it worse) generally they have a pretty bad geometry setup to get death wobble on an xj with a mild lift. go with RE or a kit and you will be fine its the parted kits that must be researched thoroughly. do a kit and let some one else do the thinkin if you are worried"

ignore it.

lol.....yeah the info put out by some is kinda like the comercial........"no but I stayed a holiday inn express last night"

Death wobble causes........................

--Front tires out of balance, Rims bent.
--Front alignment out of spec(Caster, Toe).
--Loose track bar.
--Worn track bar bushings.
--Worn track bar end.
--Bad bushings/joints in control arms.
--Worn/damaged steering stabilizer.
--Worn/damaged shocks.
--Worn/damaged tie rod end.
--Bad U Joint(s).
--Bad ball joint(s).
--Steering box looseness
--Need drop pitman arm
--Driveshaft(s) not balanced
--Bad front hub assembly
--Wrong size wheel studs in hub

Uhhh Did I forget anything? LOL

Y2K-XJ said:
Death wobble causes........................

--Front tires out of balance, Rims bent.
--Front alignment out of spec(Caster, Toe).
--Loose track bar.
--Worn track bar bushings.
--Worn track bar end.
--Bad bushings/joints in control arms.
--Worn/damaged steering stabilizer.
--Worn/damaged shocks.
--Worn/damaged tie rod end.
--Bad U Joint(s).
--Bad ball joint(s).
--Steering box looseness
--Need drop pitman arm
--Driveshaft(s) not balanced
--Bad front hub assembly
--Wrong size wheel studs in hub

Uhhh Did I forget anything? LOL

In order of importance, the three most likely factors are:
1. Track bar
2. control arm bushings
3. steering stabilizer

some of the other items on the list are associated with these three items (example: loose trackbar, trackbar bushing, trackbar end)

driveshafts have nothing to do with DW, drop pitman arms are more likely to be a cause rather than a cure and wheel studs are very unlikely.

In a nutshell:
after you make sure everything is tight, something is still lose. find it, fix it.

Back