• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help! Looking for a 4-5 in. lift!

jeepinxj99

NAXJA Forum User
I just got my jeep last thursday (1999 xj sport) and I am looking to get a lift kit for it. I have noticed the Rusty's 4.5 and think it might be a good way to go, can yall help me with this? Which is the best?

If i recall, this exact topic has been covered hundreds of times. If you search, you could find hundreds of different opinions for hundreds of different reasons. It all depends on how much you want to spend, what youll be using it for, and how long youll have it. Im sure there are plenty of other reasons to pick one over the other. Have you looked into an SYE kit aswell? might want to plan for that...

how much tire do you want to run? if you want 33s you will want to regear. that is an extra 1200 or so. And you have to have 4.5 unless you want to cut that sucker up. if you want 31s and no regear, look into the 3.5 superflex, then as the money comes regear, then new tires, then throw a bb on top of the kit and you will be sitting pretty at 4.5-5.5 inches. and all these guys know what they are talking about, get the sye on a 99, even at 3.5 inches

Matt

el_chupo_ said:
how much tire do you want to run? if you want 33s you will want to regear. that is an extra 1200 or so. And you have to have 4.5 unless you want to cut that sucker up. if you want 31s and no regear, look into the 3.5 superflex, then as the money comes regear, then new tires, then throw a bb on top of the kit and you will be sitting pretty at 4.5-5.5 inches. and all these guys know what they are talking about, get the sye on a 99, even at 3.5 inches

Matt
Regears are not THAT expensive. ANyways, best best is to look here

an SYE is a Slip Yoke Eliminator kit. look them up on www.performanceoffroadcenter.com they are about 200 bucks. do a search for SYE it will tell you all you need to know. basically it replaces your rear driveshaft system with one a lot like your front one. it gives you a longer DS and therefore slacker angles so your driveshaft doesnt bind or vibe. and you can regear for well under 500, depending on what axles you have. IMHO, RE is a good kit, look them up and just stick to 31s for now, they're the easiest way to go to look good, do some good functional off roading without changing a lot of stuff at first. you should be able to do 31s with stock gears and 3.5" lift and an SYE and driveshaft for about a grand, maybe less. dont go all out on your first lift, chances are if you like your jeep modified, you wont be able to stop playing with it and you'll end up changing your wants/needs in a year or so anyway. hope this helps..happy jeepin

hey thanks everybody for your help! what tires would yall reccomend for alot of street use but still good off road? Would an ARB front bumper sag with just the 3.5 lift?Down the road if i want to go bigger can a BB be added to the 3.5?

Tires- depends on what you want. Mud tires work on the road but will wear faster. All-terrain wear better on the road but aren't as nice off-road. I like BFG in both cases.
I'm new to this also. (Just got my XJ last week) but I think you can add a BB to almost any lift for another inch or two. I think I'm starting with the BB, then will move on to a bigger lift when I have a better understanding of my Jeep.

you can add a bb to any lift as long as you take into account how much lift height it will give you total. it is almost never as simple as "just adding 2" of lift"...you'll need to address drive angles and steering and such. as for tires, i'm running cooper st 31 x10.5 and have about 20k on them with no complaints at all. they do real well in every situation i've had them in. air them down and they are awesome. they do well in wet on road, etc. not too loud either (slightly louder than bfg at's, but quieter than mud terrains) i have a buddy running the exact same tires as mine and he has about 50k on them and they're still going, no complaints from him. cool thing is too they're studdable, so i'm probably going to stud mine this winter and replace them in spring and keep them as snows. i'd definately reccomend them, the come with deeper and thicker treads than bfg all terrains and cost about $20 less per tire. FWIW, when i do replace them, i'm going with the same tire in a 33...

oh yeah...
jeepinxj99 said:
Would an ARB front bumper sag with just the 3.5 lift?Down the road if i want to go bigger can a BB be added to the 3.5?
ARB bumpers weigh about 90 lbs, so they realy shouldnt sag your front very much. If you plan on running a winch that would definately contribute to sag but i'm guessing since you're new to jeepin you probably wont be running a winch right away so you can worry about that later.

I dont want to sound like I'm anybody special or anything.... but for GOD'S SAKE, SEARCH!

I havent even been here a year yet, but it seriously gets so damn tiring digging around the exact same thread 6 and 7 times per day, posted by different people. C'mon guys, I know we have more sense than this.

Back