• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

evaluate my progress

mavrick

NAXJA Forum User
Does this look about the average amount usually cut off? Anyother comments welcomed.

Once question, when you get near the end of the rear do you take the cut all the way to the bottom using the same curve? My only concern would be that it come close to a couple of bolts that seem to hold the feneder to either the frame or something else.

i ran that combo for 2 years on my xj. I cut mine on the line of filth that you could see after removing the flare, and I still have to modify the very back of the flare with a hammer on the trail the first time I was out. Like geekstar said cut it till it clears, unless you acutally care about the body.

Ive cut to about 1/2'' below the body line change. Looks funny with 32s and 4.5'' of lift, but it doesnt hit under full flex. Once you cut, you will keep on cutting, dont ask me how I know :)
I also cut to right in front of those bolts. Also, check the inner wheelwell for that ridge. That cut up my tires before I folded it back.

mavrick said:
My only concern would be that it come close to a couple of bolts that seem to hold the feneder to either the frame or something else.

Pull the bolts and the threaded inserts out. Verify the size of the hole for later reference. Trim, grind, cut, fold and what ever else you need to do to get the room you need. Re-drill the pinch seam/fender with the same size hole as was there to begin with, replace the fasteners and you're good to go. Well at least as far as those bolts you are worried about go.

EDIT: Pull the plastic liners out of your way before you start. The washer bottle on the drivers side will just snap out after removing two set screws from inside the engine compartment. The filler neck also pops off the bottle with a little effort.

Last edited:
that is the line I cut, tires barely rub at full stuff, and that was with 4.5" of lift. the tires actually rubbed on the inside of the wheelwell more than the fender, so cutting more than that doesnt make much sense for me.

i, too, trimmed my fenders on that line. and when i ran across those bolts, i didn't quite know how i should handle them either.

this was my first cut:
IMG_2518.jpg

but i just didn't like how it looked like it was gonna drasticly reduce my clearance. so i took the fender's angle all the way down. you can see it in this pic:
IMG_2535.jpg

or
IMG_2623.jpg

i first removed the front-most bolt and threaded clip like was mentioned above. but i was able to leave the back one in. the cut line ended up right behind where the first bolt used to be. right now, i'm only running one bolt per side and seems to be holding on just fine at highway speeds. if i get worried, i'll just redrill another hole and reuse the 2nd bolts.

Last edited:
thanks guys for all the advice... i think im ready to go. Did you guys use angle grinders?

Last edited:
FitchVA said:
i used a dremel with a heavy duty reinforced cutoff disk. the reinforced ones hold up 100x's better than just the regular hd disks

I read somewhere else about using a dremel and it makes since because you'll have more percision. So about how many did you go through? So when i go to buy them it will say "reinforeced"?

Thanks agian and FitchVA you did a really clean job.

i went through about 5. but i had already made several cuts on the first blade from other projects.

yeah, they'll say reinforced on the package. it will look like there is a checkarboard grid pattern on the disks - that's the reinforcements.

the trick that i used to make them last longer is to not press the disk into the metal real hard. just use some light pressure. if the disk starts to smoke, you're pressing way to hard.

i would make a guide line about 4 or so inches long. then just gently run the disk back and forth over the line a few times to slowly cut away the metal. might not be the fastest way, but it works. and works well.

to make it even easier, i hooked up that flex wand attatchment. made it like i was cutting with a magic marker.

on old projects, i have shattered the regular hd disks that sent pieces flying everywhere. i ended up using the leftover disks to S.L.O.W.L.Y. hack through my exhaust tip. it totally sucked cause it's much thicker metal. but it was all i had that could get into the spot. but the disk got jammed several times. not once did they shatter into a 1,000 pieces. they would crack, but never shatter. much safer if you ask me.

mavrick said:
thanks guys for all the advice... i think im ready to go. Did you guys use angle grinders?

Jig saw, Sawzall(too lazy to remove rock rails) and belt sander.

Before
DSC01600.jpg

After
DSC01680.jpg
DSC01673.jpg

Last edited:
another vote for angle grinder. tried the dremel - gave that up after like two minutes when I realized it was going to take FOREVER...

Dookie said:
another vote for angle grinder. tried the dremel - gave that up after like two minutes when I realized it was going to take FOREVER...

I know what you mean... im in the progress but i like the control

xjj33p3r said:
An angle grinder works pretty well. I used those on my rear fenders, and it maybe took 1 minute per fender.[/QUOTE
x2
I used a thin 4.5" cutoff wheel which made short work of all 4.

I found that sawzalls and jig saws distort the metal too much.

Last edited:
FitchVA said:
i, too, trimmed my fenders on that line. and when i ran across those bolts, i didn't quite know how i should handle them either.

this was my first cut:
IMG_2518.jpg

but i just didn't like how it looked like it was gonna drasticly reduce my clearance. so i took the fender's angle all the way down. you can see it in this pic:
IMG_2535.jpg

or
IMG_2623.jpg

i first removed the front-most bolt and threaded clip like was mentioned above. but i was able to leave the back one in. the cut line ended up right behind where the first bolt used to be. right now, i'm only running one bolt per side and seems to be holding on just fine at highway speeds. if i get worried, i'll just redrill another hole and reuse the 2nd bolts.
Gotta say, that's one of the nicest trim jobs I've ever seem.
Seriously.

Back