• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Groaning noise either compressor or power steering

BIGSLVRXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Okay I'm getting this really bad groaning noise while my A/C is on. I know by what I've stated, it sounds for sure like it's the A/C compressor and it may well be. About a month ago I got done rebuilding my A/C system(compressor, rec. drier, and exp. valve) but I put a reman compressor on. I get this sound at idle sometimes but its mainly throughout the low power range(under 2000 rpms). A certain spot in the pedal is by far the worst and the pedal will actually pulsate. The other interesting thing is it does it really loud when I shift from either reverse or drive into park. I guess I have several questions.
1. Could it be the power steering pump? It doesn't do this noise unless I have the A/C on BUT my power steering pump did make a grinding before I got the A/C up and running when I cranked the wheel left. The only thing I'm thinking is since the A/C draws so much power maybe its taking it away from the already failing pump? Possible?
2. Is there a way to somehow test the power steering pump? Obviousely theres really no way to bypass it because that would fry the gear box correct?
I would really appreciate the help from anyone thats willing.
Thanks,
Collin

can't answer ya buddy, I have the same problem.

Basically, my A/C is fine when I'm in motion... not at idle, whole different story... makes that groaning/whirring noise, vibrates/shakes the hell out my XJ (I put it in Neutral and press my foot on the gas pedal-enough to bring up RPMs-helps a lil)

I've thought of:
fan clutch, compressor, part/mount is loose on engine-front end, tighten tensioner bolt, motor mounts... and I've check most all of it (what I can get to) it's almost embarassing sittin at red light and having my XJ seem like its gonna blow up or somthin!

CollinM said:
Okay I'm getting this really bad groaning noise while my A/C is on. I know by what I've stated, it sounds for sure like it's the A/C compressor and it may well be. About a month ago I got done rebuilding my A/C system(compressor, rec. drier, and exp. valve) but I put a reman compressor on. I get this sound at idle sometimes but its mainly throughout the low power range(under 2000 rpms). A certain spot in the pedal is by far the worst and the pedal will actually pulsate. The other interesting thing is it does it really loud when I shift from either reverse or drive into park. I guess I have several questions.
1. Could it be the power steering pump? It doesn't do this noise unless I have the A/C on BUT my power steering pump did make a grinding before I got the A/C up and running when I cranked the wheel left. The only thing I'm thinking is since the A/C draws so much power maybe its taking it away from the already failing pump? Possible?
2. Is there a way to somehow test the power steering pump? Obviousely theres really no way to bypass it because that would fry the gear box correct?
Collin
I would really appreciate the help from anyone thats willing.
Thanks,
I'm thinking both of you better check your motor or transmission mounts .

Bowzer said:
can't answer ya buddy, I have the same problem.

Basically, my A/C is fine when I'm in motion... not at idle, whole different story... makes that groaning/whirring noise, vibrates/shakes the hell out my XJ (I put it in Neutral and press my foot on the gas pedal-enough to bring up RPMs-helps a lil)

I've thought of:
fan clutch, compressor, part/mount is loose on engine-front end, tighten tensioner bolt, motor mounts... and I've check most all of it (what I can get to) it's almost embarassing sittin at red light and having my XJ seem like its gonna blow up or somthin!

Yup mine is pretty much good in motion too,except I will feel the grr every once in a while,but at a stop light I get hella bad vibrations too.

I'm not going to say we shouldn't be concerned about it but it almost sounds like we might be screwed until whatever it is completely goes out, because I've spent quite a while diagnosing too.

langer1 said:
I'm thinking both of you better check your motor or transmission mounts.

I know my trans mount is fine and I've done the test on the motor mounts where you hold your foot on the brake and rev up a little bit while someone is watching the engine, so I don't think either of those is bad either.Any other suggestions?

Last edited:
to my eye, my mounts seem to be in good shape, no cracks/color fadings/wear etc. I've never heard/done the "Motor Mount Test".. my engine does give a lil shake when I turn it off.. doesn't bother me, unless its a sign..

... :huh:

Bowzer said:
to my eye, my mounts seem to be in good shape, no cracks/color fadings/wear etc. I've never heard/done the "Motor Mount Test".. my engine does give a lil shake when I turn it off.. doesn't bother me, unless its a sign..

... :huh:

I don't know if its really called the "Motor Mount Test" but I believe that is one way to do more than a visual check. You might want to try that in the mean time I still have to figure out what the heck is up with mine.

I believe seeing if the engine "lurches" forward, might want to do a search though its been discussed before.

Back