• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone use FSJ NP208 in an XJ?

barillms

NAXJA Forum User
I have recently learned the NP208 "Command Trac" used in Full Size Jeeps will bolt right up to the early XJ Auto tranny - the 904. The 208 has a fixed rear yoke and is a beefy unit, much stronger than the 231 which would be my other option, where I'd be looking at $350 + a SYE kit. Ouch! I think the 208 is a good option for me replacing my 229.

barillms said:
I have recently learned the NP208 "Command Trac" used in Full Size Jeeps will bolt right up to the early XJ Auto tranny - the 904. The 208 has a fixed rear yoke and is a beefy unit, much stronger than the 231 which would be my other option, where I'd be looking at $350 + a SYE kit. Ouch! I think the 208 is a good option for me replacing my 229.

The 208 could be used it is a 23 spline input adn the lowrange is not as deep as the 231, it is still a chain driven TC from NP and the internals as so Im told will swap with the 207 which came in some of the early xj's like my 86 2.8 904.

not sure of spline depth also, from what Ive seen the case is the week link. not near as sturdy as the 231 case. We have a guy here who just changed his 208 for a 231 because of the deeper low range and tired of busitng the case...3 times

Back