• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Labor time to do a steering box swap

wilcharl

NAXJA Forum User
Guys:

My box is leaking pretty bad now and I am going to swap it out... I will have a full lift, air ratchet, impact wrench, air chissel with pickel fork tip.. pitman arm puller... pretty much every tool needed.... What i am trying to figure out is how much time to budget.... Does anyone have a mitchel labor book or any real world experience... The box was replaced before in 1997 (its an 88) so at least im working with only 8 yrs of crud.. also how many hrs on top of that am i looking to replace all the tie rods while i am up there...

wilcharl said:
Guys:

My box is leaking pretty bad now and I am going to swap it out... I will have a full lift, air ratchet, impact wrench, air chissel with pickel fork tip.. pitman arm puller... pretty much every tool needed.... What i am trying to figure out is how much time to budget.... Does anyone have a mitchel labor book or any real world experience... The box was replaced before in 1997 (its an 88) so at least im working with only 8 yrs of crud.. also how many hrs on top of that am i looking to replace all the tie rods while i am up there...

2hour job if you aer lucky...........6 hours if not

I changed mine in less than 30 minutes. The only possible problem is getting the TRE out of the pitman arm. If that comes out easily, it can be a 15 minute job. Heck I did'nt even use a lift. Score a TRE press before you start and it should be a breeze.

There are only three bolts that hold the box in and they are accessible from the wheel well. You have to disco the two hoses and the TRE. It then falls out.

I suggest a new rag joint while you are doing it. Took me 15 minutes w/o a skidplate and hand tools. (I put in a FSJ 4 bolt box for strength)

I might do the rag joint also while I am in there... does moog or any aftermarket companies make it? I have done ALOT of searching but I can not find out for sure if say a grand cherokee box from 99ish will drop in... I keep hearing that they changed the fittings but here is the situation:

ACDelco lists the same box from 1984-present for all XJs ... apparently they have one part # for all years... now... I did read on here that the grand cherokee box will drop in the later XJs ... so logicaly it will drop into the earleir ones... My 88 box is def. over boosted...

Here is the thing... cardone lists differnt parts for each year so I think they actually make differnt boxes for each year with the differnt levels of boost...

Anyone know for sure what the tightest least boosted box i can get that i dont have to go hose swaping is?

Thanx

The first time I did mine, it took about 2 hours. That's a pretty good average if you've never done one before.
===
The second time (stupid autozone crap!), it took about an hour.
===

I don't see how old_man can do it in "less" than 30 minutes unless he has it attached with cable tie-wraps or something. :laugh3:

Either that, or he's:
speedygonzales.jpeg

Impact to knock loose the nut on the TRE. A swift whack with a three pound hammer on the side of the pitman arm to dislodge the TRE. Loosen the two hoses. Impact from the wheel well on the three bolts, and it is out.

And yes I am speedy. It does help that I have changed probably a half dozen of them over the years and have all the right tools. The key is to grab all the tools you need so you don't have to keep getting up and going to get the next tool.

It's a 1/2 hour job IF the pitman arm cooperates and comes off like it should. The TRE was easy compared to that. :repair:

So the Autozoo box is only good for a year... Was that an ATASCO or a FenCo? I know hte Zoo sales both... so anyways no one knows on the fittings vs yrs

wilcharl said:
So the Autozoo box is only good for a year... Was that an ATASCO or a FenCo? I know hte Zoo sales both... so anyways no one knows on the fittings vs yrs

3 months before it crapped out.

Even though it was under warranty at autozone, I just got one from NAPA.

My first crappy autozone box for my 89 xj was an atasco box which did not return on center. The next under the return wrrty was a Fenco box which although good at first later exibits signs of a bad spool valve ie. morning sickness -- stiff at first turn at start up usually in morning after sitting all night. Next time I change it I will probably get a new box from quadratech.com. They list a different box for pre 90 or 91s since they have a lighter feel (ie. a different torsion bar at the input side of the box). Those that list only one number are usually substituting the stiffer feeling box from later yrs. I no longer have confidence in rebuilt steering boxes. Duh!! Greg

wilcharl said:

Back