• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rear shock mount bolts

Highmiles

NAXJA Forum User
I know these break like they were made out of lead. Here's what I did: Drill out the broken bolt to about 1/2 inch. Push a thin wire in through the hole toward the "inboard" of the shock mount. On my '99 there is a large opening there. Use the wire to pull a 5/16 X 1.5" bolt with a fender washer on it back through the hole and down.

With a bit of fumbling, you can get to the bolt head with wrench to allow you to tighten down the nut on your shock bin, or in my place, the BPE block. It seems very solid, at least beter than the weak a$$ bolts Jeep put in there.

Anyone else do this? I know welding the BPE block in is best, but I don't have access to one. Just curious how this method has held up from others.

a "fish" wire is a good idea, but i usually have good luck with a long thin box-end wrench with the bolt held into the box with a few layers of paper towel. put the towel between the bolt and the wrench and press the bolt into the wrench. the towel will take up the loose slack and hold the bolt in place so you can reach it in thru the top to the holes you drilleed out.

in my last lift i used these from DETOURSUSA to ensure i never have to do that again.

stm_main.jpg

http://www.detoursusa.com/xjstm.php

Back