• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

play in front drive shaft

Barger

NAXJA Forum User
I've recently installed a SYE in my 231 and the front output shaft has started to make a clunking noise because there is some play in the shaft. When I did the install there was not any movement. I've checked the front yoke nut twice and it is torqued correctly. When I had the case apart all the parts looked to be in good shape.

Anybody else had this problem?

What was the solution?

What may have failed? Bearings?

I plan on pulling the case back apart just trying to get parts before hand if possible so I can limit down time.

Thanks
Brian
NAXJA

Is the play in the driveshaft or in the T/case??

It is definatly in the t-case.
I pulled the front drive shaft out the other day cause I couldn't be sure it was the CV joint. and the output shaft had a lot of movement in it I retorqued the nut (just hoping) but that wasn't the problem.
Thanks

I've got the same problem. Anybody else have this and know what it is?

(7 sport
RE 5.5 extreme duty
A/A sye and tom woods DS

I'm back and still stumped.
I've rebuilt the t-case and solved the play in the driveshaft problem. I'm glad I found that problem saved me a lot of money :laugh2: but that wasn't the noise:(.
What could the noise be?
It is happening under the floor board on the drivers side or atleast that's where I'm noticing it. I've retorqued all the suspension components. I have the RE control arm drop brackets installed thougt maybe they could cause it.
Could this just be a defective shock absorber?
Bad ball or U-joints I really can't find anything loose or worn.
Could the motor mounts cause this noise.
I'm really at a lost anyone with experiences here could be a huge help.
Barger
NAXJA

Somebody told me it might be motor mounts or the transmission mount causing that clunking noise, but I haven't had the money to replace them yet. I've also been told it could be the driveshaft, even though I've checked that out numerous times. I don't have drop brackets but I get the exact same thing you've been describing. What did you do to your t-case to solve the front drive-shaft play? Rebuild it with new parts? or just tear it apart and put it back together again? When I installed my SYE, I noticed that my chain might have been stretched a little, could that cause the play?

It's probably a combination of all the motor and tranny mounts. This used to be relatively common, I think the mounts may have actually increased in quality as I rarely hear of it anymore. The truly best solution is to go with one of the many vendors that offer "bombproof" motor mounts and get a new tranny mount too.

Sean

Is it just that they get loose and stretch? Because I removed the transmission mount and visually inspected it, no rips or tears. I also inspected the motor mounts and didn't find any tears either. I'm planning on replacing them anyways when I have the money, just curious.

Essentially yes, I could never find anything wrong when I was running stock ones. Every time I replaced them the noise would quit for a little while though. Got tired of replacing them, final straw was breaking one completely in half. That in turn ripped my oil filter off and I didn't know it happened for quite some time on a night run on Mt. Blanca. That was a fun trail fix to say the least. I picked up a set of Rusty's mounts and have been fairly happy ever since.

Sean

Thanks for the information. I'll have to squeeze some dollars from somewhere before something worse happens.

Well I guess I'll start with the motor and tranny mounts and work from there. If anyone else gets any ideas feel free to share them.

To answer XJ92 questions.
I rebuilt the case with new bearings and seals. I didn't replace the chain. The chain has no effect on endplay. I found out after much exploring that the front bearing and the yoke nut sets the endplay for the output shaft, and mine was worn. (The draw backs of not having locking hubs)
The shaft fit much better in the new bearings and now dosen't move at all.
Thanks
Barger

NAXJA

Back