• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rusty's 4.5" Lift on XJ

XJ_Newbie

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all.
I intended to order Rusty's 4.5" Lift, with spring pack, over the phone, but realized that I need t complete one bit of research first.
What I was planning to do was purchase the lift without the lower control arms, run with the stock ones while I saved up for a Long-Arm kit. I had heard that this was a smart thing to do as it saved money in the long run.
When I ordered my kit from Rusty's, I was told that the stock lower arms would not be safe to run "in the mean time." The guy I talked to said that alignment would be a proplem and that it would be a tough fit anyway.
How could alignment be a problem on a SFA(this is my first)?
Has anyone gone the same route as I am trying to go?
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Victor
1988 Jeep Cherokee Laredo

Would be a very tough fit. I tried exchanging the springs/shocks on my jeeps and was going to keep the stock LCA's. After about 2hrs of pulling/prying/yanking/jacking/etc... I decided to go ahead and swap the LCA's as well. Plus, it puts a horrible angle on the LCA. Looked like it would rub the bottom of the shock/spring mount and possible bend one or the other if you ever tried any serious flex. Swap them out then resell the LCA when you get your long arms.

i agree with fryed- i have rusty's 3" kit and reused my stock arms, but im goin to get new ones soon- the ride isnt harsh and the angle isnt that bad, but we fought (me 200lbs, my dad 230lbs, and a buddy) and i mean FOUGHT to get them in- it took about 2 hrs for the arms alone, but we didnt have any special tools- i cant imagine an extra 1.5", thered have been no way in hell we coulda got them to go together

Craig96_XJ said:
i agree with fryed- i have rusty's 3" kit and reused my stock arms, but im goin to get new ones soon- the ride isnt harsh and the angle isnt that bad, but we fought (me 200lbs, my dad 230lbs, and a buddy) and i mean FOUGHT to get them in- it took about 2 hrs for the arms alone, but we didnt have any special tools- i cant imagine an extra 1.5", thered have been no way in hell we coulda got them to go together

:wave1: friend, are you serious? 2 hours just to get arms in? will I also have a plm with 3" lifts on 1996 ? let me know :patriot:

I just put the 4.5 on my 94 this weekend and there would be no way the stock LCA would fit I had a hard enouph time putting on the adjustables after jacking and a few ratchet staps all was well if you have any ? drop me a pm I will try to help.

X2 what everyone else said, go ahead and put the new LCAs in. It will be easier to make it work, and safer, and ride better. It's worth it. GOod call on going straight for longarms, that'll save a lot of problems as well.

I got Rustys 4.5" kit two years ago and still run it, but I went with TNT longarms recently. I still use the 4.5" leafs and coils (with 1" spacer) and it flexes great and will ride well once I get new shocks. Overall a good kit.

Things I would budget for now and make them a priority:
1) SYE and driveshaft. The new height will most likely give you vibes and be weaker. It's a smart move to do this first, not wait a year like I did.
2) The HD trac-bar drop bracket will make the install easier rather than the stock frame mount. If you have the cash, go ahead and get the RE 1660 trackbar with superflex joint. Rusty's tracbar is ok, but the bushings wore out on mine after about a year.

If I think of anything else I'll let you know, but I think it is a really good first time kit, as long as you supplement a thing here and there.

Chris

i agree with the re trac bar.

i got the rustys lift, and i love the springs and coils, they run great for me, but the trac bar snapped while i was turning on some rocks, so my advice would be save up for the long arm conversion and get some little odds and ends for strength while your there, the more you flex the more stress is put on various parts of the suspension and steering systems. remember the cherokee, though it was built to be capable in off road conditions, did not have stock parts that were spec'd to withstand the forces applied when the majority of the weight up front is resting on one wheel for example when you are maxed out articulating and the jeep is leaning on the one wheel. that puts a lot of stress on the various joints.

swap out for longer short arms
then sell them when you get the long arms

Don't try stock LCA on a 4.5". You don't want to mess with your axle angle. You'll be begging for a squirrly XJ. I'm running the 4.5" now. But I got the teraflex lca's and I love them. By the way, are you planning on running a heavy front bumper? If not, I highly recommend Rusty's 150lb/in springs. Nice and cushy. I definitely would go for a track bar (teraflex) too. Not necessarily the mount, but you need to get your axle centered. Also make sure you get some shims in the rear leaf packs until you get your SYE....Holler if you need help.

hahaha, I didn't! Guilty! Well maybe we'll help someone down the road.....

Or not.

Chris

Back