• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

E-brake is junk

summitlt

NAXJA Forum User
I recently did rear brakes on my 1990 MJ. Rear brakes consisted of EVERYTHING new cylinders, pads, and al the nessesary hardware. But I did not get new drums.

The previous owner used regular old cable for the ebrake. I continued on his quest for cheap and managed to rig it up to work.

I adjusted the rear brakes in the drum to be slightly dragging. Then I adjusted the ebrake to make it drag more, then backed it off a little bit.

The e-brake pedal goes to the floor, it will barely hodl the truck on flat ground, and on hills its very iffy. If I park nose up on a hill, it does nothing.

Probably because you went cheap with the cable. The cable has probably stretched not allowing sufficient force to be applied to the shoes.

If you used the real deal, I'll bet it works. At this point, a set from the local JY would be better.

Also, do not expect it to work when parked nose uphill. Drum brakes are designerd to be more effective in the forward direction. If properly adjusted to function when facing downhill, the parking brake will not hold when facing uphill. If adjusted to hold when facing uphill, more than likely the brakes will be dragging when the parking brake is released.

The cables are probably stretched inside the casing and about to break. New ones are available still for pretty cheap.

Back