• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

$60 Steering Pump & Cooler fix...

Gil BullyKatz

NAXJA Forum User
I guess my oem steering pump finally got tired of supplying the juice for the 35's...

When it died last week, I took Rev Den's advice and rebuilt it and added a cooler...

Total cost: $60

NAPA Complete rebuild kit for pump $30
NAPA small Hayden tranny cooler $30

Took the opportunity to try the power steering mod I found by SEARCHING...

http://www.off-road.com/ih/jweed/pwrstr.htm

http://westtexasoffroad.homestead.com/powersteering.html

Took about an hour including a few Marlboro breaks...

DSCF0027.jpg

DSCF0029.jpg

Next paycheck:

Tranny cooler!

Did you do the modification to the pump as well as shown in the links? What did you exaclty do if you did please?

Gojeep said:
Did you do the modification to the pump as well as shown in the links? What did you exaclty do if you did please?

I did the spacer mod with one small washer underneath the spring...

The difference is no more slow speed whining and it does feel smoother...

Jackhill442 said:
You have decreased air conditioning and engine cooling performance.

BS...

My AC hasn't worked in 6 years...

The temp gauge didn't move over 200* in stop and go driving for an hour on the way home from work...

In 92* weather we had today...

It helps that I'm running an aftermarket radiator and the electric fan is manually controlled...

Engine temps should drop considerably once I remove the tranny lines from the radiator and run them independently...

You really think placing a cooler that size in front of the AC condenser and rad makes a big difference at crawl speeds?

I'm sure putting a winch in front of it all would probably kill my engine...

:rolleyes:

True, but after adding a tranny cooler too, the air conditioning head pressure will be up significantly, but the a/c apparently isn't being used, so it does not matter.

Gil BullyKatz said:
I did the spacer mod with one small washer underneath the spring...

The difference is no more slow speed whining and it does feel smoother...

BS...

My AC hasn't worked in 6 years...

The temp gauge didn't move over 200* in stop and go driving for an hour on the way home from work...

In 92* weather we had today...

It helps that I'm running an aftermarket radiator and the electric fan is manually controlled...

Engine temps should drop considerably once I remove the tranny lines from the radiator and run them independently...

You really think placing a cooler that size in front of the AC condenser and rad makes a big difference at crawl speeds?

I'm sure putting a winch in front of it all would probably kill my engine...

:rolleyes:
If you're not gonna be using the rad. for tranny cooling, then you should add another cooler.
Otherwise, I think you trans will be running around the same temps as before your mod.

I would be more worried about mud in the rad. After I removed my AC cond. I found that even with powerwashing the rad I still had not removed all mud. Once the condensor was removed and all mud clear I hat a 20 degree drop in temp. By the way I like the $60 fix and know that I will need it soon, mine has been whining for a couple of months now. Good info, thanx. Edit. I just missed the above post. No both the coolant and trany will be running lower temps. If he does the mod right he will get a 40,000 gvwr motor home cooler that will do an amazing job of cooling. Also separating the hot trans fluid from the hot coolant will allow both fluids to cool quicker. Also if your motor gets too hot you dont have to worry about frying the trany.

Last edited:
ok, reading the links, putting in a cooler it gives more power?

Why wouldnt this be streetable? Obviously you have, but one of the links says otherwise. Just a warning type deal?

Starboard M said:
ok, reading the links, putting in a cooler it gives more power?

Why wouldnt this be streetable? Obviously you have, but one of the links says otherwise. Just a warning type deal?
a cooler is a cooler, it cools. it doesn't give more power, but it does keep the temps down so that you keep having power. the pump mod (spring and washer) give more power.

it's "not streetable" for the same reason many aftermarket Jeep parts are "for offroad use only"; lawyers.

Okie Terry said:
If you're not gonna be using the rad. for tranny cooling, then you should add another cooler.

'Zactly...

Except I don't know if I should spend the extra money for a "stacked plate" design or just go with another tube and fin type...

Gil, I'm using a tranny cooler out of a 98 Dodge 1500, works great. Got it for $5 at the pick & pull. JIM.

I have a large tranny cooler (Hayden) and I have not noticed ANY difference in my AC OR engine cooling here in the California Desert with 110+ temp. My radiator is 6 months old and is a 3 ply (I know everyone says not to do 3 but I didn't know better back then).

I am putting a powersteering cooler on this weekend after I finish reparing all of my frame rail cracks (at the steering box).

FileHandler.ashx

Jackhill442 said:
You have decreased air conditioning and engine cooling performance.

dude you should have just posted :

no congrats on the mod. i just want to point out useless info that im sure you never thought off being that you rebuilt the pump, re plumbed the lines and added a cooler. im sure that you really didn't think things thru. lol.

but seriously, nice. and since my junk is in the same shape ill be trying this at the end of the month. nice job man.

jpx3

jpx3 said:
dude you should have just posted :

no congrats on the mod. i just want to point out useless info that im sure you never thought off being that you rebuilt the pump, re plumbed the lines and added a cooler. im sure that you really didn't think things thru. lol.

Sarcasm?

jpx3 said:
is that what that was? sh/t i thought i was padding. wow. glad you caught that.

jpx3

I must be getting quicker as I get older to pick up on that. LOL

Thanks for the info on what you used. I have another stock auto cooler for my power steering mounted in the bottom of my new bumper so see how that goes first.

Cheers

Back