• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NEED HELP ASAP: No ignition key for 88 Jeep cherokee will be towed tommorrow...

Tim88XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Well me and a buddy a owners of an 88 Jeep cherokee. The other night one of his friends broke the ignition key off in the rear hatch. None of them are very mechanically inclined, otherwise I would just have them remove the lock cylinder and put in a new one. I am 2 hours away and couldn't get back till either later this week or next weekend. To make matters worse it is in a parking lot at NC State and will be towed shortly after tommorrow morning.

Is there any chance that a dealer would be able to cut a key by the vin number? Any idea how much a locksmith would charge to go on site and cut a key? Anyone have any suggestions or reccomendations?

Let me know ASAP

-Tim

It cost me 100 bucks to have a key made for a 70 VW Beetle. This was made at the spot though, as in using probes and stuff. Call the dealer about getting the key code from the VIN number.

Tim88XJ said:
Well me and a buddy a owners of an 88 Jeep cherokee. The other night one of his friends broke the ignition key off in the rear hatch. None of them are very mechanically inclined, otherwise I would just have them remove the lock cylinder and put in a new one. I am 2 hours away and couldn't get back till either later this week or next weekend. To make matters worse it is in a parking lot at NC State and will be towed shortly after tommorrow morning.

Is there any chance that a dealer would be able to cut a key by the vin number? Any idea how much a locksmith would charge to go on site and cut a key? Anyone have any suggestions or reccomendations?

Let me know ASAP

-Tim
I doubt a Dealer could for a 88. A lock smith would be your best bet. $35.00 or so.

Check the Yellow Pages for a locksmith that does automotive work. They can just exchange the complete cylinder in the steering column for another one with keys. It is a GM steering column, nothing complicated, plenty of key cylinders available. This is what I had done after snapping off a key in my 1988 S-10 years ago.

I think I read somewere theres only 6 different keys anyway. If you got friends with older XJ's theres a real good chance one of there keys will work.

If you take the column apart, you can take the ignition tumbler out of it without needing the key, then I think you can just start it with a screwdriver....I'm not able to walk you through the process of getting that deep into the column because its been awhile since ive been in mine. But it is relatively simple. When you get past the turn signal switch, the tumbler is help in place by one screw.

ecarlcl

langer1 said:
Yep theres been lots of car's stolen that way. Their suppose to look at the title before cutting keys.
Heh, heh. Never thought of that. In my case, they know me. I keep the part counter guys busy. They actually had my VIN on file.

Call a locksmith. I'm going to guess that $35 is a bit on the low side, but having a key made or an entire new cylinder installed is going to be cheaper than a tow and storage -- and you'll have to have it done eventually anyway.

if you can get into cab you can just unplug the ign switch, then plug in a new (or used from a wrecking yard) switch so you will have 2 switches the old one on the column (not in use) and the new switch which is now hanging from the wiring harness, you can move the new switch with a screwdriver. that will start the XJ but then you have to deal with the steering lock, I've heard that a good kick will break it but i've never tried it.

Good luck

Dingo

Back