• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Studs

Jeepdogrob

NAXJA Forum User
When I put my new Rims on my 96 XJ I was told that I needed new Studs, that they are too short. I am getting about 10 full turns on them and am not sure whether this is enough?
If I do need new studs they would only need to be about 1/4" longer. The problem is what size studs do I need? Has anyone run into this problem? Also, are the studs going to be different for the Rear D44 off a 87 XJ I am running? Any advice would great.

Rob

who says? I havent had a problem.. i replaced some of mine when i got my brake work done recently, only because i broke 2 or 3 off and decided to go new all around.

Are you running 1" thick rims or something? Soundlike someone is trying to take you for a few bucks at the shop. Next they are going to suggest you have your blinker fluid flushed :rolleyes:

I think the McGard lugnuts say they they only need to grab a length of thread that is at least equal to the diameter of the nut size. Don't quote me on that, but we have 1/2x20 lugs so minimum is 10 full turns? I think you're just safe.

Are the new rims tapered seat, for stock type lug nuts? If so, buy (or borrow) one standard lugnut from a hubcap type vehicle (not a shiny chrome one, just a basic one with an open back). Put it on and see if the stud extends far enough to basically be flush with the outer surface. If so, you're good to go.

Back