• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2" lift on a '01 XJ

dlafferty

NAXJA Forum User
I'm going to be putting some 30x9.50's on my jeep, and looking into putting a 2" lift, but i'm hearing alot about '97+ having issues with vibration. Also, i'm hearing about the various 2" economy lift kits and how some will cause spring wrap or speed up spring sag. In reviewing some of the other posts, one gentleman posted a link to an article from rock lizard fabrications, which was very informative.
I understand i won't know for sure about vibrations until the lift is installed, but should there be vibrations, would it be best to start with the transfer case lowering kit to correct the bad vibes?
My goal in all this is to maintain my road ride, but give the jeep a better stance.
Any suggestions/advice?

I say go for it. However, get a kit that uses shackles rather than blocks. Helps keep the angles better. Also be prapared for a T case drop as well. I don't think you will have much vibes but you never know. Also a BB kit with shackles is more buildable down the line. You can always add a 3.5" kit to it down the road and end up in the neighborhood of 5+" lift. To me this is the better way to go since you don't actually waste any money on parts that can't fit when you go bigger. Good luck!

I say go for it. I lifted my 96 Cherokee with the 2" budget boost that rock lizard fabrications talks about. I have no problems with vibrations. I really don't think you will pick up any vibrations going up 2" but if you do I would try shiming the axle to try to match your pinion angle with that of you driveshaft. I good rule of thumb is to keep your pinion angle 2 degrees below that of you driveshaft angle. Hope it works out for you.

Adam

I have a 2000 and initially put in 2" of lift with no vibes, when I went to 3" I dropped the t-case slightly and now at 4" I had no choice but to put in an SYE. As an aside I ran BFG 30x9.5x15 on my stock sport with it's standard 1" lift and had no rubbing although I didn't disconnect the front swaybar.

Cheers
Steve

each XJ seems to be different, but i had NO vibes on a 2" BB on my '99.

30's will work fine. do it!! you'll be happy you did.

I lifted my '01 3 in inches and I didn't have any vibration 'till about a month after. It was the tires needing balanced again though, not the drive train. But I guess it is different for every one and you won't know until you lift yours.

As long as you use a SHACKLE in the rear, you should not experience any vibrations. The shackle will angle the output yoke enough to prevent vibrations at that height. If you do have any vibrations, it will more than likely be from bad ujoints.It's plain geometry folks, keep the angles and things work right.

Dookie said:
each XJ seems to be different, but i had NO vibes on a 2" BB on my '99.

30's will work fine. do it!! you'll be happy you did.
What he said.
Heres my 99........(with 31's for the street)........
100_2000.jpg

30's for wheel'n.......
Picturea64.jpg

Stay away from blocks.
I have the Daystar, spacers in front and greasable shackles in back.
PN#KJ09106BK (1-3/4") 1984 thru 2001
Works great with 30's, forget wheeling with 31's unless you trim.

I just installed the Daystar BB on my 97' and I'm getting the vibes. A old school Jeeper who works in the machine shop at the other end of the factory I work in said he'll make me a transfer case drop sometime this week.

rstarch345 said:
You don't need shims with shackles.

You do use shims with blocks, or AAL or full spring.

Incorrect. Sometimes you need to put them in backward to help correct the pinion angle that the shackles throw off.

I only put a 1" shackle on mine (1998) and it pointed the pinion high enough to give me vibes.

....so shackles keep the angle better (you learn something new everday), but can't they shorten the lifespan of the leaf springs?

jbassxj said:
....so shackles keep the angle better (you learn something new everday), but can't they shorten the lifespan of the leaf springs?

just driving around shortens the lifespan of your leaf spring....

i guess it could happen - but i've had shackles on my rig for ~3+ years with no ill effects.

i have a 2" lift and 31" ive wheeled it and will soon be triming...but it works fine on my 2000 when i had my 2001 i had a 3" and 31" and no vibes on either... i did aal on both

Back