• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shocks for XJ with RE 5.5

XJfer4

NAXJA Forum User
I am hoping someone can help me. I have an 89 XJ that I just put an RE 5.5 lift ( not a long arm) under. I now need shocks. My local dealer, which I bought the parts from, says they cant tell me what shocks I need now. They want me to measure and then tell them what length I need. I dont know how to measure for extended and collapsed length. I dont know how far it should go before the shock bottoms out or tops out.

I am hoping there is someone here that can tell me what length shocks work on their jeep with the same lift.

1989, XJ, RE 5.5 Extreme duty, stock front and rear ends ,(so far) 6 cyl, auto, 33's on rock crawlers

Thanks in advance!

SEARCH on here.

thats what i did EXTENSIVELY

and i found that a 10" shock will work best for my application

search search search

XJfer4 said:
Thanks for all the replies! I knew someone would reply and just tell me to search, search, search.......

listen-- i DID give you an exact answer too though! :wave:

those numbers are nice and all, but the best thing to do is to flex it out and measure what you need. those lengths fatwreck gave just happen to be the same shocks that work for my 4" lift. point being, measure first then buy the shocks and get what you need for your application

Back