• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Interesting Oil Leak

87CherokeeChief

NAXJA Forum User
Recently ive noticed a strange oil leak and puddles under the jeep. i only notice it when the jeep is in my driveway which is slighty sloped backwards. It has left a fairly good sized puddle under the jeep each night. It seems to be leaking off the back of the transmission and crossmember. I just had the rear main seal done by a shop after a few failed attempts to do it myself. so oilpan and rear main are brand new seals. also the valve cover seal is new and its not leaking off the back of there. i also checked the oil filter which is fine as is the mounting point for the oil filter, which had a little oil but nothing significant. i was under the jeep earlier and noticed something that i had never seen before. between the transfer case and trans right where they mount up i noticed a strange gap between them. i took some pics to show yall.
IMG_0042.jpg

Its right at the top of the picture almost a halfmoon shape. The oil that is leaking seems to be engine oil, unless transmission fluid(its a 5spd) is a dark brown/black? i thought it was red or is that auto trans?

Auto trans fluid is red. The oil in your Pugout should be synthetic gear lube that will be kinda brown after a few years. Might be the output seal for your trans. Might be just the excuse you need to swap to an AX-15 or something.

I am having exactly the same type of leak on my '90 with an A4W after replacing the main bearing seal, valve cover gasket and oil filter adapter o-rings. None of my fluids ever seem to get low. I hope someone has an answer.

The reason why it looks black is because of all the dirt collecting on it. If you have a pressure washer or access to a quarter wash (do it yourself) place i'd soak it in Simple Green, Purple Power, Greased Lightning, or whatever your favorite degreaser/multi purpose cleaner is and then blast the crap out of it with the pressure washer. Then you can get a better idea of where exactly the leak is coming from. Judging by those pics, it's been leakin a while.

Im fairly sure its leaking out of the halfmoon shape hole thats in the pic. so would that be the output seal on the back of the transmission? yea it is pretty dirty down there but i just recently noticed the leak so its only been leakin for a short time.

Then yeah its probably the transmission output shaft seal. I believe its a part you can get at Napa if youre so inclined to back out the t-case and everything. I see you have a seam down the middle of the transmission so you have a Pug BA10-5. I see a brownish drop of lubricant at that half moon, not looking like t-case ATF. Did you check lubricant level at the fill plug? So, thinking about swapping in an AX-15...?

I dont really feel like doing the swap, seems like more work than i want to do. Where exactly is the fill plug?? i see a few different "bolts" that look like they need a 1/4" drive socket or something square. there is one on the passenger side just above the crossmember, is that it? and how do i take the plug out?

I decided i will be changing the seal this coming weekend. I went to Kragen and they didnt have the output seal so where else should i check? Napa is really the only place i can think of off the top of my head. other than the stealership(would they still carry the part?) so does anyone have any advice for changing it? i assume i can just take the drive shaft out, disconnect the tcase from the transmission and the seal should be right there? should i count on losing any t-case fluid? i found the BA 10/5 uses 75-w90 is this correct? and the fill plug looks to be on the passenger side towards the front of the trans just behind the bell housing correct? any tips would be appriciated. Thanks guys for the help so far.

Brett

Dude. I said go to Napa. You went to Kragan. WTF!? Incidentally I work at a NAPA so I'm allowed to ridicule Kragan. I'm hoping I don't have to eat my words if youre local Napas don't have the part. If I have time tomorrow I can check and see if I've got a part number for that. Napas at least handle a lot of special orders. Knowing how seals usually don't appear in the comp. theyll probably have to break out the "gaskets and seals" book.

If you don't know how long the fluid has been in there than its time to change it anyway. Now I know that the AX-15 CANT use normal gear oil it needs to be gl3 or a synthetic w/o sulfur. I say use a synthetic lube anyway but I do think the BA10/5 can use GL5 axle lube (you should check this though). Just warm it up (drive around), take off the fill and then the drain plug. Oh yeah take that thing to a quarter wash and wash underneath. Theres actually a place in my town that has "engine degreaser" in the wash.

My manual says the fill plug is on the driver side, the drain plug is on the front below the bellhousing, the plug on the rear is something else. From the diagram the oil seal appears to be the pop in/out type in the rear, unless I'm mistaken.

Oh, while were on the topic of forgotten fluids the tranny fill and drain are on the rear of the box. It will prob. want a little over a quart, I recommend a synlube for that (should need the type that says Dextron).

bajacalal said:
Dude. I said go to Napa. You went to Kragan. WTF!? Incidentally I work at a NAPA so I'm allowed to ridicule Kragan. I'm hoping I don't have to eat my words if youre local Napas don't have the part. If I have time tomorrow I can check and see if I've got a part number for that. Napas at least handle a lot of special orders. Knowing how seals usually don't appear in the comp. theyll probably have to break out the "gaskets and seals" book.

If you don't know how long the fluid has been in there than its time to change it anyway. Now I know that the AX-15 CANT use normal gear oil it needs to be gl3 or a synthetic w/o sulfur. I say use a synthetic lube anyway but I do think the BA10/5 can use GL5 axle lube (you should check this though). Just warm it up (drive around), take off the fill and then the drain plug. Oh yeah take that thing to a quarter wash and wash underneath. Theres actually a place in my town that has "engine degreaser" in the wash.

My manual says the fill plug is on the driver side, the drain plug is on the front below the bellhousing, the plug on the rear is something else. From the diagram the oil seal appears to be the pop in/out type in the rear, unless I'm mistaken.

Oh, while were on the topic of forgotten fluids the tranny fill and drain are on the rear of the box. It will prob. want a little over a quart, I recommend a synlube for that (should need the type that says Dextron).

lol, well kragen is right down the street for my house. and the guy did have to look in the book since the comp didnt have it. I read in another topic that the Ba 10/5 uses 75w90 GL5. I was actually able to use some oven degreaser and did a pretty good job of cleaning it up under there and its pretty obvious now its leaking from where i suspected. in a matter of minutes oil would be seeping out of the "weep hole??" I have a chiltons manual(yes it sucks) and it also says the fill plug is on the drivers side but im just not seeing it, tomorrow ill take the crossmember off and lower the hole thing for a better look, but i just wasnt seeing anything...how do i get the plug off though? its a square hole, or at least what i was looking at needed something square and i didnt have a ratchet that fit.

Im sort of confused as to what the last thing you said meant, are you talking about the transfer case??

I've been dealing with mystery oil leaks for the past 3 years. After replacing all the seals and gaskets that everyone else has, I finally replaced the head gasket a few weekends ago. Pain in the A*@ but it seems to have taken care of the problem. The right side of my engine was always wet with oil and now it's nice and dry. Hopefully that's not your problem but it's something to consider...

ParkCityXJ said:
I've been dealing with mystery oil leaks for the past 3 years. After replacing all the seals and gaskets that everyone else has, I finally replaced the head gasket a few weekends ago. Pain in the A*@ but it seems to have taken care of the problem. The right side of my engine was always wet with oil and now it's nice and dry. Hopefully that's not your problem but it's something to consider...

I do actuallly think i have a head gasket issue but i dont think it is related to my current problem. i will probably save that for another time. thanks for the reminder though :)

Not to big on replying to my own posts but:

I went to napa and got part number 15440, which should be the transmission ouput seal. today i finally decided to tackle the project and got everything apart but i realized that they sold me the wrong seal. so i called them and the guy was sure that i wasnt telling him the right info, mainly on which t-case i had. so he said he had another part that it could be. since i didnt have a ride i had to call my mom and luckily she was able to go get the new seal. part number 15047, which the guy told me is another possibilty. given my luck this too is the incorrect part. so im stuck with a messed up original seal not even worthy of putting back. the jeep is in parts on the garage floor and its 6:20 and im not sure who else is open. Kragen didnt have the part i needed so i think im stuck, unless the dealership might have it?? i dont really wanna pay a ton for a seal. does anyone have any idea what the real part number would be?? thanks guys.

The number is also on the seal just like a bearing.
The numbers you posted are for the T-Case not the transmission.
I get this as the Napa number
Item#: NOS19601
u_clear.gif

Price: $ 8.49
tax and shipping not included

Disclaimer: The stated price may vary from the in store price and may change at anytime.

Usually ships in 24 hours.

u_clear.gif

Attributes:
Attributes: M/Trans Seal - Rear
I.D.: 1.9690''
O.D.: 2.5650''
Type of Packaging: Boxed
Width: 0.3150''

Last edited:
Allright thanks a bunch, the measurements on that one look like what i need. I guess the people at napa dont understand what im telling them...i called pep boys since napa is closed and the guy said he would have to special order it and it wouldnt come untill wednesday...to long to wait, i guess ill check napa tomorrow.

Well i got the seal replaced and its not leaking from the transmission any more. now im getting a coolant leak, 2 actually. they both could be from the same spot but they are dripping off the engine in two spots. one is dripping off the bottom transmission bolt where the inspection plate is. kinda of resembling where my rear main was leaking, there also is a little oil but mostly colant, it is a somewhat intermittent drip. while idleing its about once ever 5-8 seconds. the second is coming off the front of the engine, right from the front oil pan seal. i honestly cannot tell where it is soming from. part of the seal sticks up a little and creates a small lip where the coolant collects then drips constantly at idle. i checked all the hoses and pressure tank, radiator doesnt seem to be leaking. any ideas? freeze plug maybe? i checked and its hard to see them all so im not quite sure on this. also, if the head gasket was bad could that be causing a leak somewhere? (87 4.0 5spd)thanks guys...

Brett

I was meaning to mention this to you but I haven't been on my computer and I thought I would tell you by the weekend. The Napa part I believe for the Ba 10/5 is 19601. The catalogue was VERY ambiguous as to which seals pertain to the Ba10-5 and not the ax5. Also there is a book that they have at Napas that lists seals by their dimensions (internal diameter, external diameter, etc) so thats a possibility. Getting them to open that book is another story though. Glad to hear its fixed.

99XJSPORT06 said:
The reason why it looks black is because of all the dirt collecting on it. If you have a pressure washer or access to a quarter wash (do it yourself) place i'd soak it in Simple Green, Purple Power, Greased Lightning, or whatever your favorite degreaser/multi purpose cleaner is and then blast the crap out of it with the pressure washer. Then you can get a better idea of where exactly the leak is coming from. Judging by those pics, it's been leakin a while.

THANKS CAPTAIN OBVIOUS!

My Peugeot trans leaks like a pig. When I first got the Jeep, I drained the trans and the old fluid was more like clay...you know what JB Weld looks after it's mixed but before it dries? That's what my old fluid looked like.

Filled the trans up with regular 75w-90 gear oil, and changed it twice since then, each time seems to have a little less grey crap but it's still filthy. This time I just said fuck it and filled the trans up with regular old ATF, since it's high detergent it should hopefully clean up more shit in there. I'll drain it again in the next couple weeks to see what it looks like :D

Back