• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

quick question about shackles

twardnw

NAXJA Forum User
Purchased a 2" BB from Rocky Road, 2" poly spacers on front, 1/2" spacer + 1 1/2" shackles for the rear. Got the front spacers and rear spacer in, the problem arises with the shackles. The instructions are telling me to replace the stock shackle with these, stating that it is on the rear of the leaf pack. Well, first, there is no shackle back there, and second, to put the shackle in, I am going to have to remove my hitch. Is there any problem with putting the shackles on the front of the leaf pack? I only ask cause it'd take me some time to get the hitch off...

twardozrally said:
I only ask cause it'd take me some time to get the hitch off...

What kind of hitch do you have? I pulled a "Hidden Hitch" off a junk yard donor this morning. Took me less than 10 minutes. 4 bolts and it falls off.

twardozrally said:
you want a pic? cause there's no shackles, the leaf packs are just bolted into the mounts, which in turn are welded to the 'frame' rails

Yes I'd like to see a pic of springs attatched to your Jeep w/o shackles

and you dont bolt the RRO shackle into the other shackle, you remove the old shackle...

One dosen't have to remove the rear hitch to change shackles. Jack and support the rear body, pull the rear wheels, lower shock mounts, and with a jack under the axle, the upper shackle bolts, adjusting the jack to where the bolts don't bind. Now you can lower the axle till the lower shackle bolts can be removed without interfering with the hitch cross member. Watch if your rear brake hose and vent hose are too short how much you lower the axle. Leave the shackle bolts just snug on re-assembly and tighten them to specs when everything is together and sitting on the ground at static ride hieght. If the upper shackle bolts are rusted, use lots of PB Blaster and patience rather than stripping the frame inserts.

sorry robert, but this hitch blocked the abilty to remove any of the shackle bolts at all, upper or lower, without it being removed. And, fortunately for me, someone had removed the shackle bolts before, as all had anti-seize on them. The hitch bolts were an entirely different story however

Unless you've got some home-fab hitch that bolts on outside the rails, you just wasted a lot of time. I'd really like to see this. Pictures, man! Pictures!

I installed this exact BB on a friend's '00 and it was a breeze. It was also my first time....Pictures!

Back