• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 electronics

Sponge Bob

Attitude Racing
I have 88 with 21 splines and having trouble finding a 23 spline output for it to install my klune and atlas. I have since purchased a 95 unit and i am wondering if the electronics are the same or could the 88 electronics be swapped in to the 95 unit?
:us:
Spounge Bob

I put a '95 AW4 into my '90 and all the electrical connections were the same. I had to use the '90 CPS and converted my NP231 to 23splin input gear. '90 AW4 should be the same as '88.

Sponge Bob said:
I have 88 with 21 splines and having trouble finding a 23 spline output for it to install my klune and atlas. I have since purchased a 95 unit and i am wondering if the electronics are the same or could the 88 electronics be swapped in to the 95 unit?
:us:
Spounge Bob
Yes your 88 "TCU" will work on the 95 transmission.

What about a '98 going into an '88?

ren said:
What about a '98 going into an '88?
nope

87-96 and 97+ are different. I've heard from some people that they've just spliced the harnesses together with no problems, but I've heard from others that they had to swap the speed sensor to make it match the year of the TCM.

Speed sensor-is that the speedo drive in the x-case? Then all I should have to do is stick in the mech. speedo drive and be done (yes, I know to "clock" it when I replace it) right?

ren said:
Speed sensor-is that the speedo drive in the x-case? Then all I should have to do is stick in the mech. speedo drive and be done (yes, I know to "clock" it when I replace it) right?
no, not the speedo cable, but the actual speed sensor in the tail of the tranny. I don't know how far you actually have to tear down the tranny, but if you really need to know, I could get you in touch with someone that's done it.

Thank you for the offer of making contact with someone that can answer this for me. I think that I will go ahead and accept that offer, since I can get the AW-4 for $175 and it only has about 63,000 miles on it. I think, with that kind of price/mileage, it is understandable as to why I want to know if it can be made to work. Thanks again Ren

Back