• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bushings

Pogiboy

NAXJA Forum User
Searched and searched, I am sure I have overlooked what I am looking for, but I am not the brightest person out there!
Bad death wobble, need new bushings on the trac bar and the one the stabalizer is connected to, forgive me but I am new at this and dont know the name of it. Who and where is the best place to get these? Or do I need a whole new track bar? Must be fixed soon so any help would be great!

So in other words I would be wasting time to get bushings? Because I cant really afford a new set up right now, but it has to be done right. I know RE has a track bar kit but will it come with everything I need? I need both Track bar and tierod ( I am guessing thats what it is, the thing the steering stabalizer is connected to ) bushings.

Pogiboy said:
So in other words I would be wasting time to get bushings? Because I cant really afford a new set up right now, but it has to be done right. I know RE has a track bar kit but will it come with everything I need? I need both Track bar and tierod ( I am guessing thats what it is, the thing the steering stabalizer is connected to ) bushings.

The RE setup is complete, and nice...if you just need something to get by hit a wrecking yard...

like I said...IIRC..the tie rod end of it is NOT replacable on the factory bar.

You are going to have a good time with this one! I said the wrong bar! Not the track bar bushings that are loose. Its the pitman arm and tie rod bushings that are loose. Problem? Everything else is tight and I know these need some play in them. I am thinking I might go get it aligend because I havent done that since I put the lift on, and thats when it started. New stabalizer would help to I think, mine oem is shot. What you guys think?

Pogiboy said:
You are going to have a good time with this one! I said the wrong bar! Not the track bar bushings that are loose. Its the pitman arm and tie rod bushings that are loose. Problem? Everything else is tight and I know these need some play in them. I am thinking I might go get it aligend because I havent done that since I put the lift on, and thats when it started. New stabalizer would help to I think, mine oem is shot. What you guys think?

Ok the link that goes from the pitmarn arm to the pass knuckle (steering stabilizer is attached to it all) is called a drag link.
IIRC, only the pitman arm end is replaceable, but its cheap, and if there's play there, then do the replacing.

then the link that connects the drag link and the drivers side knuckle is the tie rod. both ends of these are replaceable. replace them as well, they're cheap.

when you go to the parts store (advance, autozone or NAPA will have these) you'll be asking for both tie rod ends and the drag link end. put these in with approximately the same length frrom the threads to the ends of the joints and then go to your neighborhood alignment shop.

if you replace one of these links, replace them all! if you replace one at a time you'll need an alignment after each replacement part to figure out if you fixed your problem.

IIRC, only the pitman arm end is replaceable, but its cheap, and if there's play there, then do the replacing.

The other end is replacable as well. I got it from Advance but I sure did have to give them the run around about what I wanted, you'll need to make sure they order the LONG one.

Let me see if I can run through my reciepts and find it for you.

Part # at Advance is DS1046. I think other places use the same number.

Last edited:
That would be nice, but we dont have advance here in Ft. Worth. Thanks anyways though. Besides I only need three bushings. Both on the tie rod and the one on the wheel end of the pitman arm. Should be pretty easy, seemingly, from what I can tell.

Pogiboy said:
That would be nice, but we dont have advance here in Ft. Worth. Thanks anyways though. Besides I only need three bushings. Both on the tie rod and the one on the wheel end of the pitman arm. Should be pretty easy, seemingly, from what I can tell.
These are the same as Advance Autoparts.

The PartsAmerica.com Team includes Advance Auto Parts, Checker Auto Parts, Schuck's Auto Supply, Kragen Auto Parts and CSK Auto, Inc.,

You can get the Stabilizer bar (anti sway bar) bushings ALOT cheaper from an Auto parts store than the dealer. Just replaced mine. Checked dealer first, then went to O'reiley Auto Parts and got all of the bushings from the two main ones on the body to the ones on the links for less than half the cost of dealer. They were Moog parts (which I trust). The kits for the links also included brand new links themselves and they are a little more stout than the factory ones.

Good Luck,

James

Pogiboy said:

Yeah you only have three. But the problem is you've got two short ones, one at the tire on the driver's side and one at the pitman arm. The third you are talking about has to be replaced as a whole ~4' long unit. The third is the one I gave you the part number for as there was some question to it's availability in an aftermarket parts store. Now being that you can get it at a PartsAmerica chain that probably means you can get it at other parts stores in your area as well.

I don't know what bushings you are going to replace, You replace the tie rod ends, and the pitman arm , but there are not bushings in the tie rods you can replace easily or at all. Get a knowledgable trained mechanically minded person to do your front end work please.

Yes yes, I know. No bushings. I just assumed thats what they were, but I soon found out with a little research! I know replace tierod ends and pitman arm. Thanks for the info!

Back