• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

upper rad. hose rubbing on battery

XJ Samo

NAXJA Forum User
How can I stop my upper radiator hose from chaffing on my battery?
I have an 88 w/4.0L stock closed radiator with an optima battery.
Was told tying a rag to the hose would work and does but looks crappy.
Please help

Last edited:
I think there's a big split loom looking sleeve on mine from the factory. I actually got another one when I bought a replacement hose. I'll send you my extra if you want it.

I took a piece of fuel line , split it length wise and put it across the edge of the battery. Looks OK on a black battery. You might also want to get a piece of the corrugated plastic that is used around the upper hose where it lays across the AC compressor it would work well at your battery.
Good luck.

I went to a hydraulic ship (Parker-Hannifin, if you're wondering) and got some hydraulic hose protector. It's a woven fabric sleeve that's tougher than the hinges of Hell, and perfect for the job. It's not cheap, but it will last forever... I've had a hard time finding spaghetti loom that large.

5-90

Bradlybob said:
My ghetto fix was a section of bike tire I tie wrapped to the hose. Not extremely pretty but functional.
Another fix is to take a section of the old hose that you removed, cut it to length, and then slit it lengthwise, and place it over the section of new hose that needs protection from chaffing.

Buy a factory OEM hose,it will have the split plastic loom on it. Take thayer up on his offer. Whenever I do hoses on any of our jeeps I keep the ridgid on thats on the top hose and the material looking one thats on the bottom.

i had this same probelm in my 90 also same shitty closed system type radiator and i lossened the bolts that hold down my optima yellowtop and just moved it over as far as i could in the battery try closest to the fender and it was far enough that the hose did not touch anymore

my 2 cents.

AZ Jeff said:
Another fix is to take a section of the old hose that you removed, cut it to length, and then slit it lengthwise, and place it over the section of new hose that needs protection from chaffing.

Did that what AZ Jeff mentioned, but had a brain storm one day and cut some flexible (ribbed) plumbing plastic pipe lengthwise and slipped that over it, looks good, works good. Rubs pretty good if you get a taller than stock battery. Be carefully the whole thing doesn't get so high it contacts the hood latch rod or you could be in a world of chit, been there done that.

Back