• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AA SYE or Tom Woods SYE

xjdavid1

NAXJA Forum User
I have a NP242 transfer case and am wondering if I should buy the Tom Woods SYE or the Advance Adapters kit. By the way where can I buy the AA SYE should I decide to go that way.

I wasn't aware that AA made a SYE for the 242... The Tom woods is overpriced IMO, and *some* [read: not me, but a friend who has a TW SYE on a 23 spline 242] have had problems with the seal on the outputshaft... Just a heads up....

What year [spline] 242 do you have... I have a RE H&T and have had no complaints from it... HTH

Will.

The seal on the output shaft was a problem. It would come unseated. Tom has since fixed this problem by locking in the seal by punching the housing to hold it. If yours (or your friends) has come out, contact Tom and he will send you a replacemnet one.

I just got my TW SYE and DS. It's going on my 01 on Monday. I'll let you know how it goes :sunshine: . I trust TW, and as stated above, if there is a problem I trust it will be fixed. Cost was $500 + $400 core for my output shaft and speedo housing. I'm thinking that sending a speedo housing with the seal already mounted in there may have been the fix for the earlier problem.

im pretty sure that Currie is out of the SYE business...

I put a Tom Woods SYE in my 231 and haven't had any problems. Good instructions too. I don't know about anyone else's SYE or the 242 though.

Robert

Go with the T/W kit, got mine from him and actually got one of the first new seal design tail housing, got about 1500 miles on it and no sign of giving up, actually longer than the last design. But just remember to catch all the roller-pins and don't forget the gease when reassembly is going on. Its a pretty easy install, you'll just need a good set of snap-ring plyers

Back