• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

115 V Arc, Adequate?

uvaldetxj

NAXJA Forum User
I don't know much about welding, but I really want to learn. Would a cheap 115 V Arc from Wal-Mart be adequate to learn from? It's $94.94, so i'm not losing much. What are some things I could fabricate with little knowledge?

Depends if it's a learning aid or if you really want to weld with it.
Buy it and some small pieces of metal to learn how to weld but get a quality machine if you want to actually use the parts you're welding.
There are very good 115V welders out there that you can find used in the $200 range if you do a little research. I just bought a Lincoln 135+ in great shape for $200 that I love for small stuff.
Stick to brand names like Lincoln or Miller and you should be fine.
My recommendation.

BrettM said:
wire your up a 220v outlet.

ok

sure, ill just wire up my own 220v outlet

what mods do i need to put one of thoes on my jeep? :D

XJ_ranger said:
ok

sure, ill just wire up my own 220v outlet

ahh what's so hard about it plug in a breaker and run a wire same as 110v also they do make awsome 110v welders but they are upwards of a grand,they are smaller than a backpack and you can carry it around where you go. i would deff not get the one from wallmart generally the smaller the welder the harder it is to learn with because of it's lack of settings. save a few more dollars and get a big buzz box and ac/dc-/dc+ box will run you under 500 new and i'm sure you can find one cheeper at a farm sale like stated above. don't waste time with the little ones

bj-666 said:
ahh what's so hard about it plug in a breaker and run a wire same as 110v

no - it is not the same as 110v

i was merely pointing out that some more reading ought to be done before wiring your own 220 outlet...

like what size breaker to use, what wire to run from the breaker, how to mount the electrical box, and how to run the wires

there are electrical codes and to sell a house - everything has to be up to code...

XJ_ranger said:
no - it is not the same as 110v

i was merely pointing out that some more reading ought to be done before wiring your own 220 outlet...

like what size breaker to use, what wire to run from the breaker, how to mount the electrical box, and how to run the wires

there are electrical codes and to sell a house - everything has to be up to code...
The only difference between a 120 volt outlet and a 240 volt outlet is a "120 volts".All circuits other than your standard 120 volt receptacles are sized by the need(volts/amps) of the equipment.Most hand dryers at your high school use more power than my Miller Mig.Yes,any installation is supposed to comply with your local codes.
Ron
20yrs IBEW
10yrs BCO(Electrical)
10yrs IAEI
Edit: I was reaffirming "bj-666's" comment,the actual work required would be the same for either one.Most 120 volt welders or plasma cutters dont work(well) with a standard house receptacle.

Last edited:
RCP Phx said:
The only difference between a 120 volt outlet and a 240 volt outlet is a "120 volts".All circuits other than your standard 120 volt receptacles are sized by the need(volts/amps) of the equipment.Most hand dryers at your high school use more power than my Miller Mig.Yes,any installation is supposed to comply with your local codes.
Ron
20yrs IBEW
10yrs BCO(Electrical)
10yrs IAEI

isnt that what i said? i should ahve said wiring your own CIRCUT, instead out outlet...

Back