• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rough start/rattling

awglx

NAXJA Forum User
hey guys Im new here and Im new to jeeps and it so happens that my girlfriend has an 00' cherokee sport. She had an over heating incident caused by blockage from a ROTTED out water pump. Cyl#2 is missfiring causing the CEL light to appear. I changed the plugs and that helped a little but now it is rough starting. Any ideas? She also has a rattling noise coming from under the shifter on the driver side when it is stopped or parked. Thank you for any help.

im actually getting that same noise, i believe ive pinpointed it to being the flywheel\clutch inside the xfer case. im getting it serviced tommorrow at my 4x4 place in town.

Don't take this as gospel, but it seems like a mechanic friend was telling me recently that it is not uncommon for the flex-plate bolts to get loose on the automatics causing the noise you describe. I'll try to pick his brain on this asap.
-Louis-

Check the flex plate bolts, but there is either a recall or TSB for rattling transfer case shifter linkage.

Here is a good thread on JU about 00-01 enginem isfires adn rough running. http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=486652

Does it have problems starting 100% of the time or when teh engine is hot, or when it is cold?

-Chris

Definetly check out that JU thread. I think one of those TSB applies to her XJ. I'm considering getting mine flashed. A bit rough in the mornings too, but if I let it idle for 30 seconds before I drive it, all is good.

-Chris

I was able to contact my friend and he said basically what Talyn said. If you are SURE it is not an exhaust or exhaust shield rattle, the next bet would be the tcase linkage. He also said the vanes in the torque converter will rattle if loose but that seems like a long shot at this point. Go for the simple stuff first.
Yeah I'm near Bristol. I've had a few jeeps but this is my first Cherokee ('93 4.0 5spd) . I got it virtually free because it won't start. I haven't had a chance to look at it yet. Think of it this way, at least your girlfriend's runs :D
-Louis-

apparently it wasnt my xfer case or flywheel like i thought, although trying to pinpoint a sound without being able to be under the car is pretty much impossible. it was actually the flange between my Y pipes and my catty. just a few sheety spot welds from the previous owner is all... at least it wasnt the tranny... i would have cried :'(

awglx said:
so the colder it gets the harder it is going to be to start. Right?

Hrm... I don't know. Is it hard to start, or does it run rough after the start? Or both?

-Chris

it takes a couple of seconds to get going, not like before i changed the pluggs. The missfiring isnt that noticable but i know it is because i got it hooked up to a computer when the CEL came on. It hasnt come back on since i changed them and got it reset. Its just the start that worries me. It soundes like it doesnt want to and then it starts up. I switched from champion to bosch. Sorry about the missunderstanding.

buffalotrot said:
apparently it wasnt my xfer case or flywheel like i thought, although trying to pinpoint a sound without being able to be under the car is pretty much impossible. it was actually the flange between my Y pipes and my catty. just a few sheety spot welds from the previous owner is all... at least it wasnt the tranny... i would have cried :'(

Thanks for the feed back

awglx said:
it takes a couple of seconds to get going, not like before i changed the pluggs. The missfiring isnt that noticable but i know it is because i got it hooked up to a computer when the CEL came on. It hasnt come back on since i changed them and got it reset. Its just the start that worries me. It soundes like it doesnt want to and then it starts up. I switched from champion to bosch. Sorry about the missunderstanding.

Ok.. thats what I initally thought the situation was. But when you said it was hard to start i interpreted that like yuo had to crank it long before it turned over.

I think i am still explaining it wrong. I am talking about when you acually turn the key to start. Not get "get going" like moving but "get going" like started.

no its pretty good once it gets started, its rough when you turn the key to get it started.

Back