• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wheeling in Mammoth, Ca

ruggedjeep

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys anyone know of any trails in Mammoth mountain? Difficulty of them? I might be planning a fishing trip sometime in the next month or so and would love to wheel and explore. I know of a motorcross track a little past the golfcourse, its got some trails around it, but i dont think its meant to be wheeled.

I went wheeling up there with some freinds last winter without researching trails first and we found a trail on the eastern side of the Mammoth exit at the 395 that had some challenges in the snow but it was mostly down hill so it wasn't too tough.

ruggedjeep said:
Hey guys anyone know of any trails in Mammoth mountain? Difficulty of them? I might be planning a fishing trip sometime in the next month or so and would love to wheel and explore. I know of a motorcross track a little past the golfcourse, its got some trails around it, but i dont think its meant to be wheeled.

Ive been going up there for years but have never wheeled but i have a book that has all the trails as well i asked a simular question in the socal section so you can check it out http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=63699. But to answer you question here we go. Laurel lakes rated moderate but not really that hard. Its off sherwin creek road south part of town. Backway to inyo craters... easy road. Dead man pass northwest of mammoth kinda by the ski area, easy. Sand canyon southwest of mammoth northwest of bishop, moderate. Coyote flat, southwest of bishop, moderate.

Personally i would do either lauler lakes or sand canyon because i believe you can fish at the end of them.

Theres all sorts of trails all along the mountian range. I just got back from the south fork of the kern. You turn off at kennedy medows and take it back a good 40 miles until you hit a nice easy jeep trail. http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=64833

Stop by the Mammoth ranger station and get the OHV and mountain biking map - they're free and show trails in the areas from June Lake to Crowley Lake. All of the legal 4wd roads are passable in a stock 4x4.

There are tons of places to explore on the south side of Mono Lake too.

i go up there every winter break and the only reason there is a serious challenge is because of the snow which is LOTS of fun. i was told that down by crowley lake there are some soft deep mud areas that you should be careful of, sounds like fun. if youre interested in going back up towards the end of december me and couple of jeeps will be up there wheeling the snow right off 395, or the mammoth scenic loop also has some trails. the trail difficulty will mainly be based on the amount of snow they have, which is usually enough to get stuck.

e6f4f7.jpg

Last edited:
Back