• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hitch& bumper question

Zoro

NAXJA Forum User
I've got a Hidden Hitch and it's either a class III or IV, I had to take it off to get the bumper off(which is still on...) and 2 of the 4 bolts that pretrude down thru the frame kinda got lost up inside the frame. If I don't to replace the 2 bolts should it be ok when I tow? If not how do I get new ones in and grade 8 is about right, right? There's a bracket parrallel to the bumper with 2 bolts and I lost the rear one on the left side of the frame and the front one on the right side of the frame.

Also, I can't get my rear bumper bolts off or out and I'm about one step away from cutting it off, any ideas? I thought this would be easy because the donor vehicle basicly gave me the bumper, & this thing won't even budge...

Zoro said:
I've got a Hidden Hitch and it's either a class III or IV, I had to take it off to get the bumper off(which is still on...) and 2 of the 4 bolts that pretrude down thru the frame kinda got lost up inside the frame. If I don't to replace the 2 bolts should it be ok when I tow? If not how do I get new ones in and grade 8 is about right, right? There's a bracket parrallel to the bumper with 2 bolts and I lost the rear one on the left side of the frame and the front one on the right side of the frame.

Also, I can't get my rear bumper bolts off or out and I'm about one step away from cutting it off, any ideas? I thought this would be easy because the donor vehicle basicly gave me the bumper, & this thing won't even budge...
Grade 5 would be fine, you do need all of them and the strip nuts.

on my 2000 classic I had to drop gas tank to get my new hitch on, then welded nuts to inside of frame rail to catch all the mounting points.

Skullvarian said:
on my 2000 classic I had to drop gas tank to get my new hitch on, then welded nuts to inside of frame rail to catch all the mounting points.

Or you could have removed the rear bumper, bought some nut strips and put those in the "frame rail"

there was two bolts dead center of the back of the hitch that mount to inside where rear bumper sits, couldn't get a wrench between this and gas tank.

Back