• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Popping while turning?

cco175ranger

NAXJA Forum User
Well after a nice weekend of wheeling, replacing a mud soaked alternator, and washing my XJ in a car stall that said no mud cleaning... Another XJ god has knocked on my door. I was on my way home today and as I was turning I heard this pop in the steering. The pop was sudden then everything seemed fine. No rattling, shaking, or anything after that. Then as I made another turn, again POP. I noticed this time the steering wheel was ever so SLIGHTLY cocked while I was driving straight. Then as I turned again POP and then the steering wheel was straight. The popping continued as I made my way home setting the steering wheel either straight or to the same slightly cocked spot again. The truck wasn't pulling at all or so I didn't really notice at least between the pops, and it seemed like it was coming from the lower steering components. I am thinking possibly the tie rod end/s are popping in and out of a worn thread? or maybe the drag link? The track bar is BRAND NEW with the lift. The steering stayed tight the whole time too, with no play as if it where brand new, and also no leaks of any sort. I am lost here and I don't wanna spend a mother load of cash to replace stuff that isn't bad. I also don't wanna get stranded on the side of the road. Where do I start and does anybody have any clues what it may be?

PS: My XJ; 1995 Sport-4x4-4.0L-AX15-6.5" Lift-33x12.50x15R-2 Door 250,000 miles

I would guess a broken/loose u-bolt on the rear axle, with all the mud you should have no problem looking for a clean spot on the real axle pads.
You need to clean and grease everything and take a good look at the calipers too.

Last edited:
Your saying from the rear axle? I mean the popping is distinctly coming from the front. Along with that everything from the transfer case and back is also brand new. Driveshaft, joints, seals, bearings, bolts, yokes, etc. I am pretty sure this is something in the front.

The first I would check would be the u-joints in the front axle (if not just for the sake of checking them). But if your steering is being affected, it would be one of the steering joints. It seems as if one of the joints is "popping" (and the sound you hear) out of it's seat. You will definately need to use a good pry bar and make sure to take the load off the front by putting the vehicles frame on jack stands (I'm presuming it not to be an obvious joint issue).

So your saying it could be the ball portion of the tie rod or draglink popping partially out of itself? I am a lil confused thats all. What is the sure fire way to check the u joints on the front axle. Its a D30 btw.

Checking the u-joints is easy. Jack up wheel, remove wheel and tire, grab joint with hand and shake. If you feel or see a lot of movement, it's bad.

And yes the track bar could be a possibility. It's not often a factory track bar works loose but Murphy lurks behind every corner.

Checking the other joints is a matter of inserting a pry bar against the opposing surfaces of the joint and prying. If it moves more than 1/16", it is more than likely bad.

Tighten up your frame end track bar bolts, they are loose.
take the tire and wheel off, jack it up, and use the biggest breaker bar and pipe you can find.
Thghten the $h!t out of the botls that hold the bracket to the frame.

This has happend to me quite a few times and everytime it has been a tie rod end on the steering that is making the poping noise. Have someone turn the wheel side to side while you are listening and watching everything move. You will find it right away if it's loud enough to hear inside.

Mine does this too. I found that the right side tie-rod end was making contact with the sway bar disconnects. Not sure if this was hit or changed after putting the lift on, but it has done it for quite some time. I have also heard a popping sound coming from my JKS disconnects as they move back and forth on the lower mounting shafts. Lost spacer.

SeanR is right. I guarantee you it is a loose track bar. It happens on XJ's. Tighten all 5 (or however many) bolts that are on the driver's side mount of the track bar. Some bolts may be a little hard to find, look real hard. You practically have to tow the end of a wrench with another truck! Rent a torque wrench and just go on them as hard as you can. I would do this even if you know for sure it isn't the problem, because these bolts will come loose some time in the XJ's life.

Back