• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cracked exhaust manifold...

summitlt

NAXJA Forum User
1990 MJ, 4.0

My exhaust manifold is cracked, I was going to weld it up but it seems liek the concensus is that it will crack again. So I guess Ill get a new one.

Problem is that I know it will crack again down the road, but the newer ones have that flexpipe on the #6 cylinder, can I use that? Maybe it will last a little longer?

Also, do I NEED a new gasket?

I've welded them and had them last three years or so. New ones typically last five.
I have a big flat piece of steel that, I clamp to them before welding, so they don't warp much (and as a heat sink). Use a MIG and spray down the area with a light coating of water (constantly with a pump sprayer), to slow down the heat spread/damage/warpage.
Heating the weld with a torch after welding and letting it cool slowly also relieves the heat stresses. But you almost have to have, some kind of heat absorbing product, to help control warpage.
The first couple I welded, never really broke at the weld, but next to it. The way I do it now, they may crack again, but rarely near the weld, usually someplace else.` The first one I welded, without clamping it to something, required some muscle to get the bolt holes to line up again and didn't last long.
Using the old gasket is asking for trouble. To much work, to skimp with the gasket. Though in an emergency (road repair), I've coated both sides of the old gasket with grease and then tightened it in there. The grease bakes to a crust and actually works pretty darned good. Copper grease, works even better.
Mine often crack, when I hit the cross over pipe on something. Sometimes they just crack on there own, maybe from splashing them with water, while hot.
The Renix exhaust manifolds are hard to remove, but often fairly easy to weld. The later model manifolds are easy to remove, but the cracks are often in a spot hard to impossible to weld (in the center of the collector).

summitlt said:
1990 MJ, 4.0

My exhaust manifold is cracked, I was going to weld it up but it seems liek the concensus is that it will crack again. So I guess Ill get a new one.

Problem is that I know it will crack again down the road, but the newer ones have that flexpipe on the #6 cylinder, can I use that? Maybe it will last a little longer? IT WILL HELP..a quality aftermarket header, if available for the renix system, is the way to go...

Also, do I NEED a new gasket? YES...never reuse any old gasket always change them...on anything.
its humorous to have people come into our wrecking yard...usually romanian or russians but not always, BUYING used head gaskets....I try not to laugh, but as yet, am unsucessful...

Symptoms?

What is the indication of a cracked manifold. In other words, what causes a person to even go look for a problem in the first place?

If the crack gets big enough, you´ll hear it. When they first start out, the first indication is often a pop at start up. Almost like a muffled backfire.
Reasons to look for the problem are two fold, hot exhaust gases venting in the engine compartment are liable to melt or cook something vital.
Secondly, carbon monoxide will kill you. Thats generally why they vent the exhaust to the rear.
The extra noise is just annoying.

You can also (carefully, so you do not get burned) reach down under the intake manifold and without touching the exhaust manifold, feel for airflow coming from any of the tubes. This is how I determined that it was the #5 tube that is cracked on mine, not the #6 as seems to be the norm. HTH Ren

Anybody tried braizing (dunno how to spell it... basically soldering it with brass) the manifold? Would it hold up to the heat? It seems you could repair it with less heat and more precision than a MIG. I just MIG welded mine but haven't had a chance to try it out as the Jeep won't run after a motor swap... :(

Jared:patriot:

summitlt said:
Also, do I NEED a new gasket?

You'd probably want to have one on hand.

But we just replaced the cracked manifold on my buddy's ZJ 4.0 with one of those cheap E-bay specials. Went on quite nicely, but the new gasket that was included just did not fit right. There was a bulge in the center between 3 and 4. So...since the old gasket was still in good shape, we re-used that one.

one plus to buying a quality name-brand part is that they come with good gaskets, new bolts for the flange and so on.

Back