• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Crank Pulley removal

civiceg22

NAXJA Forum User
How do I get it off? I took the bolt out. Is there any way other than wacking it with a hammer (already tried that and broke it up pretty well). THis is a learner engine so it is really all new to me, I doubt it will ever go back into a jeep, but I would like to learn how to do it right. Thanks

A harmonic balancer puller or a steering wheel puller (heavy duty). The harmonic balancer is actually two wheels in one, inner, a ring of rubber and outer. Tapping near the center with a hammer may help get it moving after some pull, with a puller is applied. Beating on it isn't gonna help much, will probably separate the inner from the outer and may just smack the crank back and forth enough to damage that also.
There are a few tools, you pretty much have to have. Steering wheel puller is one, you use it rarely, but there really isn't an acceptable alternative. A steering wheel puller, is about half the price (or less) of a new harmonic balancer.
When I was young, I tried to fix everything with a bent screwdriver, a broken pair of pliers and a BFH. Over the years, often at swap meets, I picked up a decent set of tools. They don´t have to be Snap On, they just have to work.

Thanks for the advice, Its a hard balance Buy tools of buy more parts! I guess I will be heading to sears.

Thanks for the laugh :roflmao:

big friggin hammer syndrome....hilarious :laugh3:

Check for a loaner tool program. AutoZone and Advanced Auto in this area both will "sell" you a tool then buy it back. I do not know why this is called loaner tool but hey....
Why have a tool box full of limited use tools?

Back