• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Tow Hook, Do I Really Need a Bracket??

Dragline

NAXJA Forum User
I have a rear hitch (Draw Tite). I haven't taken the bumper off yet but it looks like I have a strip in the frame rail with bolts going DOWN through the frame rail and through the bracket for the hitch with nuts attatched to this. Is there any reason I can't just replace the bolts that are there with longer ones that go through the strip, through the frame rail, through the hitch bracket and then through the tow hook. Picked up the hook free (it was off the front of an XJ, couldn't get the bracket off. I bought two with brackets, so they threw this one in free)(three hooks and two brackets for $7.00)

hitch_hook_two.jpg

hitch_hook_one.jpg

hitch_hook_three.jpg

I guess I should of expected that. I guess i should have added the receiver is a class II not a class III (1¼" Square Receiver Tube Opening). If I only needed "a little help" I might use this as a recovery point, but I wouldn't trust it if I was really stuck. (or if the other person was really stuck.) It's only rated for 3500 lbs. as opposed to 5000 lbs for a class III.

Dragline said:
I guess I should of expected that. I guess i should have added the receiver is a class II not a class III (1¼" Square Receiver Tube Opening). If I only needed "a little help" I might use this as a recovery point, but I wouldn't trust it if I was really stuck. (or if the other person was really stuck.) It's only rated for 3500 lbs. as opposed to 5000 lbs for a class III.

still as strong as the hook itself. I used mine as a towpoint for along time. even made my own d-ring that fit into the hitch

xjnation said:
still as strong as the hook itself. I used mine as a towpoint for along time. even made my own d-ring that fit into the hitch

Seriously, if the receiver is just as strong as the hook, I won't go through the trouble and risk breaking stuck bolts.

Littlewhitexj said:
4 bolts holding on the hitch, 2 holding on the hook.... hmm wonder which is stronger?

Actually there are 6 bolts holding on the hitch, but who's counting. I was just going by what they were rated:

receiver is rated at 3500 LBS
hook is rated at 10,000 LBS

the hook may not break till 10,000 lbs, but it won't be attached to the cherokee anymore.

Littlewhitexj said:
4 bolts holding on the hitch, 2 holding on the hook.... hmm wonder which is stronger?

By that reasoning, if I used 8 bolts and bolted a piece of wood down there it would be as strong as a mofo! It's only going to be as strong as the weakest point. I was just assuming the receiver would be the weakest point. (3500lbs vs 10,000 lbs) But if that is just a DOT towing regulation and has nothing to do with the strength of the hitch, (which someone on JU pointed out), my assumptions could be wrong. I'm just curious how many people use or have used a class II receiver as a recovery point.

The main reson the factory nut plates are more superior is they spread the load out better across the whole bottom of the frame rail, with the factory gas tank skid installed it's like having a triple thick frame rail bottom. The bolts that you are looking at the hold the hitch on are 'drop thru' more or less that you drop thru and then fish out the ends.
For yours I'd just go get a receiver insert either with a hook on it already or just a 2" receiver insert and take the ball off, then put a dring shackle thru the hole the ball mount was in.
However if you have your heart set on hook to make it more of a chick magnet might want to get a set of these to hang off them
newnutz1.jpg

:laugh3: :laugh3: :laugh3:

Dragline said:
By that reasoning, if I used 8 bolts and bolted a piece of wood down there it would be as strong as a mofo! It's only going to be as strong as the weakest point. I was just assuming the receiver would be the weakest point. (3500lbs vs 10,000 lbs) But if that is just a DOT towing regulation and has nothing to do with the strength of the hitch, (which someone on JU pointed out), my assumptions could be wrong. I'm just curious how many people use or have used a class II receiver as a recovery point.

We have a 1 1/4" receiver on one of our tj's thats done OK and I've used it to tow various bad drivers out of the woods, specially the tourists in winter...

RichP said:
The main reson the factory nut plates are more superior is they spread the load out better across the whole bottom of the frame rail, with the factory gas tank skid installed it's like having a triple thick frame rail bottom. The bolts that you are looking at the hold the hitch on are 'drop thru' more or less that you drop thru and then fish out the ends.

If you look at the second picture, it looks like there is a strip of some kind that the bolts are going through before they go through the frame rail. Wouldn't this also be like having a triple thick frame rail? Not that it matters if everyone thinks I can safely use the receiver I have on there now. Just curious at this point why it wouldn't work. I could always put the hook on and then hang the "original your nutz" from the hook. Whoa !!!!!! I'd have to fight them off with a metal hook!

Back