• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sputter while turning

midnightrunxj

NAXJA Forum User
Well latley when i have below 1/2 a tank of gas and turn my jeep starts to sputter and stumble. sometimes it will stall sometimes it dosent. it never sputters more than about 5 seconds after a turn. It mostly does it on right turns but it has done it on left turns a couple of times. Also under hard acceleration i can feel it cut in and out, sometimes loosing all power for no more than 5 seconds the kicking back it. Whats going on. never seen this before. Started all of a sudden one day below a 1/2 tank. its a 94' 2wd auto 111k. thanks

Mine does the same thing but only with a 1/4 tank or less. Mine started doing it immediately after I replaced the fuel pump. So I'm sure the pump is just not in the tank straight. I'll fix it eventually, but for the last couple of years, I just keep more than a 1/4 tank of gas in the tank.

Alright guys this is my first post. I am mainly a IH Scout person having over 10 of them but I do own a 98 XJ with a 4.0, automatic and it is 4wd. I have used my XJ allot over the years and it has never let me down. I drove it on several long road trips while I was in the Marine Corps. Now we get to my problem. Lately I have had a battery problem. When I shut the vehicle off I continue to hear something in the rear of the truck make a constant "thump thump thump" noise. Whatever is making this noise is draining my battery down over several days if I dont crank the truck. Lately I have found when I have less than a quarter of a tank of gas when I make sharp turns the truck will sputter and want to stall like it is running out of gas. I guess my question is has anyone else experienced these problems and if you have was it your fuel pump getting ready to die? I did to a complete search before I posted. Any help you guys could give me would be much appreicated. Semper Fi, John

well i don't know the details of it but it has to do with the position of the fuel pickup system, it happens on hard left turns correct? (at least i think its left) beyond that i haven't torn apart my fuel system enough to know enough about dealing with the prob

Thanks for the reply. Does anyone else have info that might help with this situation? So far I have read not to buy a aftermarket fuel pump and to get a OEM one. If this is the case I might go and get a junkyard pump from a low mileage truckthe same year as mine because my local yard has over 30 XJ's in it. Any more help on this matter would be great! Semper Fi, John

Back