• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

motor mnt plate broke off the block??

jeepme

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Ok so I am driving back from our club meeting on the freeway and all of a sudden the heep starts shakin and the fan is hitting the shroud. I pull over and found that the right side motor mount plate that bolts to the side of the block has sheared off all three bolts and now my motor is resting on the RE crossmember brace.

Has this happened to anyone else? if so can you get an easy out in there to pull the broken bolts out or do i have to pull the motor???

Yes, it has happened to several people. Mostly from getting to much elevation under the tires.

Replace the bolts with flanged grade 8 bolts and it won't happen again.

They are generally fairly easy to get out if there is some shaft showing. If not, weld a nut to the exposed shaft and turn it out.

Thanks Crash

No shaft showing at all. They broke off nice and flush to the block so I am not sure if I could even weld a bolt to them. I will check today in the daylight. If not, any other ideas? It looks pretty tight to try and get a easy out in there.

jeepme said:
Thanks Crash

No shaft showing at all. They broke off nice and flush to the block so I am not sure if I could even weld a bolt to them. I will check today in the daylight. If not, any other ideas? It looks pretty tight to try and get a easy out in there.

I suggest a easy out then. Drill a hole in the center of the bolt and then get your easy out bit in there and you should hopefully have enough bit to get the bolt out. Good luck bud. :) Is this your dd?

Troy

Go buy a new file, the type that has sort of a "D" profile to it. File a slot into the protruding boss and what's left of the bolt. Use a flat blade screwdriver, turn it out.

JJacobs said:
Go buy a new file, the type that has sort of a "D" profile to it. File a slot into the protruding boss and what's left of the bolt. Use a flat blade screwdriver, turn it out.
Thats called a bastard file FYI

what causes this to happen?

Is it more common with a certain/era than others? I have a 97 with about 100K on her, I wonder if I should just replace with grade 8's now???

Thanks
Jason

happened to me on the 95 last year get these best tools for extracting broken bolts ever, It took me less than 5 minutes to remove the broken bolts
00952152000-dlv.jpg

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/prod...EARS&sid=I0033900150001800085&pid=00952152000

CRASH said:
Yes, it has happened to several people. Mostly from getting to much elevation under the tires.

Replace the bolts with flanged grade 8 bolts and it won't happen again.

They are generally fairly easy to get out if there is some shaft showing. If not, weld a nut to the exposed shaft and turn it out.
you wouldn't happen to know the size? I'm probably swapping a motor this winter and I'll do it then.

hexflange.gif

McMasterCarr(.com) has a good selection of flange bolts for anyone looking, or if you have a Fastenal locally, they are great too.

Brett you beat me to it. Does anyone know the size of these bolts. I am going to have to get some ASAP.

xjnation
I was looking at those yesterday. Did yuo use a drill with those? the only reason I am asking is because its a pretty tight fit in there to get to all three holes.

jeepme said:
Brett you beat me to it. Does anyone know the size of these bolts. I am going to have to get some ASAP.

xjnation
I was looking at those yesterday. Did yuo use a drill with those? the only reason I am asking is because its a pretty tight fit in there to get to all three holes.

yes It does. I picked up a right angle attachment for the drill at a local tool barn for 9 bucks. you run them in reverse and they drill themselves in then the threaded collar hits and pulls the bolt right out.

427.jpg

this one to be exact

I THINK they are 3//8" course thread. Pull one to be sure, though.

Also, note that most JeepSpeed teams build in some extra bracing on the motor mounts. It's a common problem on rigs that see a lot of air time and/or stutter bumps. There are extra bosses cast into most 4.0 blocks that can be utilized for creative bracing of the motor mount.

You guys Kick a$$ thank you so much for all the info. I will be going to Sears tonight and the local hardware store to try and find that right agle drive and tackle this on Saturday. I will let ya know how it go's

Thanks again

Jeff

Well here is the update. Everything i used to get the studs out broke!! Easy outs, snapped, craftsmen bolt extractors, snapped the tip off. I broke 4 drill bits just trying to get a hole in the middle of the broken studs. The only thing that worked was a tungsten carbide cutter from a Dremel tool to get a hole in the bolt. Now I am stuck, I was thinking of trying to drill/grind the bolts out and re tapping the block, but dont really want to go that route because I really cant get a good straght line to the bolts because of the space issue. Any ideas would be great, I am pulling my hair out at this point.

Thanks

Welder.

tried the welder but the studs broke off 2 to 3 threads down in the block so I couldnt get my wire in there to make good contact. As far as the file I really didnt want to file that much material away being how far in they are.

Back